1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Edging as a service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by billyebrown, Sep 29, 2004.

1. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

I was at the Expo this weekend and was looking at a couple of models of the Edger/Trenchers. I thought it might be a good service to offer like maybe aerating or over-seeding.

I was wondering does anyone out there offer this as a service along with mowing or is it mainly a tool that landscape companies would have to use for installations? I read some post that make it sound rather profitable but is there enough business out there to make purchasing a machine worthwhile.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

We offer it at $1.00 a ft. Most of the time though we use it for new installs. I would not purchase a bed edger with the intention of gaining my money back by only offering it as a service.

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I forgot to add that they do a great job at running the underground dog fence, That can be quite profitable if its something you wanted to offer. also they do a fair/good job trenching for sprinkler systems.

4. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I usually try to sell bed edging as an add on to any mulching customers, but don't do that as a part of weekly service. I do most bed edging by hand, as I like the results better. I rented an EZ-trench bed scaper, for a larger job earlier this year, but wasn't overly impressed with the results. It was faster, but not sure if it was better, than by hand. Also made me nervous anytime I got near a sprinkler head.
  5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

any mulch job we do we edge the beds. we have the ez trench bed edger and it works great. carry a bunch of tools and cables to fix dog fence and cable lines cause you will definately hit them along the way