1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Edging. Got 2 B a better way than a shovel

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by HydroCutter, Feb 4, 2007.

1. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Wondering the easiest way to maintain bed edges. I do not think buying a bed edger is worth the expense. How about using a stick edger?

Any suggestions/advice?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

You can rent those bed edgers from most equipment rental stores. Really good option if you have a bunch of edging jobs to do, just rent it and knock out all the edging in a day or two, then go back later to install the mulch.
  3. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a Mexican!!
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, that was rude. I saw your post and had to say it!! We use a stick edger most of the time.
  5. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

I would only use a bededger where you know where everything is on the lawn. i.e. cable lines and sprinkler lines. Because when those bededgers start cutting there is nothing thats going to stop them, and that infamous non-buried cable line seems to always get chopped.
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Turfco bed edger- its kind of pricey, but its great at what it does. Because its a vibratory unit, it doesn't throw anything at you or others, and you have a slim chance of finding the cable wire before you do any damage to it. I just watched one sell at a golf course auction for $160.00, while a new unit is well over a grand. My 2 cents.
  7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing LawnSite Senior Member

That must be the cable line that is only buried 2" deep. Even when edging with a spade shovel they get cut. Why can't they put them at like 12" down????:confused:
  8. HydroCutter

HydroCutter LawnSite Member

Can you use a sidewalk edger to cut in beds?
  9. Rhinox29

Rhinox29 LawnSite Member

stick edger
  10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Why do it right the first time, when they can do it twice? Justifies their outrageous cable rates and service call delays. Most of the installs are done by a contractor who is getting paid by the job, not the hour. (As you can tell, I don't have much good to say about CATV.)