Bed edging pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by grassmasterswilson, Feb 22, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I don't normally do this and don't have the equipment. But things are slow and I got a call for someone who wanted it. Figured I might quote it and rent a bed edger. Maybe try to line up some other work.

So I figure by the foot is the easiest to price it. Anyone care to give me a ball park of what they get on new bed lines?

What about production per minute or hour including edging and clean up?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Cedar Valley Landscapes

Cedar Valley Landscapes LawnSite Member

There are a lot of variables that you would need to give to determine pricing. What is the linear footage that needs to be edge? Also is it big enough to justify renting a bed edging machine? I had bought one because of a lot of residential homes we had to re-mulch every year, and ended up to leaving it in the garage cause it was to cumbersome to use on smaller beds. Also you need to know that a bed edger will go through anything. Used it on one house and went through two sprinkler lines and two cable lines, so you will need to get the property marked for utilities to avoid any frustration.

3. Greyst1

Greyst1 LawnSite Senior Member

Been doing this for 7 years now and it seems like i cut a cable line at least once a year. For me it's just a casualty of having the best bed edge in the business. I carry cable repair tools and connectors because of this very reason.

For me, bed edges really separate the true landscapes from the rest of the field. It's not for every property but its a must where it can be utilized. Hell, i use the edger then follow it up with my favorite shovel:

http://www.jacksonprofessional.com/...Id=1374&SubFamilyId=251&FamilyId=76&LineId=75

for a clean n deep edge. Charge a $1.00/ft measure with a wheel and your good to go. I use the Bluebird/Husqvarna Bed Edger. Actually restoring one right now. Gonna start a thread on it.

4. grassmasterswilson

from nc

So the last few lawns I've priced for this work have had bed measurements of 725 and 750 linear feet. I think this is close to the norm for our area.

Most of you say $1 per foot but I just don't see my market allowing this price. Most of our edging would be at the same time as a mulch or pine straw install.

I'm curious of pricing for that size properties. I could see getting .3-.5 cents a foot. I asked a local landscaper and he guessed 250-300 for the property with 725 feet
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. charmill26

charmill26 LawnSite Senior Member

3-5 cents per foot? Try edging out new beds with a shovel and you will quickly change your mind. I get a $1 a foot also. Lowest I could see myself going is 75 cents a foot if it was a significant amount.

6. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I am around 40 cents a foot, I have a turfteq and it just ROLLS, I give people a great look, and a reasonable price, we are all happy, I am making 100 plus an hour, WITH driving time, so I am cool.

7. grassmasterswilson

from nc

Thanks guys. I don't have one and if needed would add in a rental fee. Have thought about purchasing one though.

We are in sandy loam soil. Very few rocks and a little clay in spots. Big thing is tree roots. The online estimates are 10-30 feet per minute. I was thinking that I could do 7-8 ft per minute solo and including raking out the dirt. With 2 guys I feel you could do more.... Just as fast as you could pull the edger.

8. Green Grass

Green Grass LawnSite Member
    from MN

so your not installing any edging you are just giving the edging a clean cut? If you are not installing any edging and are just cleaning it up then $.50 a foot. If installing edging then $1.00 a foot.

9. recycledsole

recycledsole LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD

usually $1 per foot of edge, unless you need to take alot of grass out, which is actully a bed expansion, then more.
    i just used a spade shovel and it looks excellent. its very easy and you dont need alot of expensive equipment. stihl kombi just came out with a bed edger attatchment, waiting to hear reviews of it

10. DFLS

DFLS LawnSite Senior Member

Mine goes right thru tree roots even oak. Just go slow thru them unless you want to skip over them so you don't hurt the tree, like birch trees will die if you cut too many roots. Sandy soil yes very quick and easy cleanup, $1 / foot up to 200 feet then start a quantity discount especially if it is easy cleanup. New edges stick with the $1 / foot. Either way go back and dress the edge with a spade or your string trimmer.