Bed Edging Productivity Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by chriscraft, Mar 13, 2006.

1. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

I am purchasing from Brown manfg 1 or 2 991h trenchmaster bed edgers. does anyone have already or use them? do they actually do 10-30 ft per minute on new beds? do they do 10-30 feet per min on redefining? Are they actually the beat they claim they are? And i know all prices differ im looking for ball park prices in your area per foot for 1) redefining existing beds 2) installing new beds per foot natural with no diamond edging or hard scape. i want to promote this to my current customer base and no one in my area seems to do it. thanks guys

2. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

we have a bedscaper bed edger....the productivity is way slower than the manufacturer says.....its not like my guys are using this thing every day, probably 10-20 hours a year in the spring, so they have not perfected speed on them yet.....9-10 when cutting new beds your dealing with tree roots which slow ya down a ton...when you get a big one it really slows ya down.

i would say relisticaly 10-15 re-defining

6-10 new edging

plus you have to remember set-up time if you have to switch to differant beds its going to take a lot longer

3. chriscraft

thanks for the input i knew it was too good to be true lol

4. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

I think Brown is accurate. I did probbly at least 100 feet in a half hour. I was new to the machine to. Its really how fast you can pull the thing.

5. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

Have you demoed a Sidewinder? They appear the fastest, best built, and, yes, you get to pay $$$ for those features.

6. jd boy

jd boy LawnSite Member
    from nw ohio

No one in your area does bed edging?

I don't know the exact model you are talking about. we do all edging by hand. Any one we have tried always throws crap all over the yard. I was always afraid of putting a stone through a window.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

we own 2 brown's..
    one is about 10+ years old, the other we bought a few weeks ago.. the steerable model.

we get the advertised production rates. cleanup takes a little longer.

8. chriscraft

100 feet in 30 minutes is 3 feet per minute not the 30 advertised lol

9. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

if you had a really big bed i am sure i could 100 feet in 1 min with a brown .

10. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

My question is, how much do you guys charge per foot for edging?

I just bought a used Brown from Nations Rent. I spent over $600 renting them last year and finally got smart. I bought one off of them for $1000 and it's in really great shape. It moves fast and does a great job at pulverizing the dirt and dumping it back in the bed. Now that I have my own, I plan on adding edging to my list of services but I need to know how much to charge.

Brian