Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by andersonmowing23, Mar 23, 2005.

1. andersonmowing23

andersonmowing23 LawnSite Member

When I mulch I usually try to sell them on bed edging, just redefining it and making it look really nice. I try to get somewhere between $1.00-1.15 a foot. I think I could sell this better if I just put it in with the price of mulch. I was wondering when you guys say you charge x amount of dollars per yd of mulch installed are you including edging or not including edging in that price. I currently charge 50 dollars per yd installed but no edging thats extra. Was wondering How everyone else does it.

2. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I charge a bunch of ways depending on the customer. Clients that are yearly lawn mainteance customers I give a slight discount on mulch. Customers that aren't under our lawn maintenance get the 'standard' rate.

With that in mind...I never include bed edging in the price...assuming its just a mulch job not plant installs, or new flower bed installs, etc.

3. shawnster

shawnster LawnSite Member

I always charge a set fee for mulch, if its in an exsiting bed and i just spread with no prepwork or edging I charge $60 per yard but if it is nonexisting beds that I have prepwork and edging I charge $95.00 per yard I just estimate how many yards i need and give them the total price.

4. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

We charge about $60 a yard installed with edging. I get the mulch in bulk
    so I never pay more than $15 a yard.(dyed or root mulch) We use a bed shaper for the edging,
    saves alot of time.

5. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

How do you just guess at your estimate for mulch and still stay competitive with other lco. A majority of new customers are calling multiple companies for estimates. Spend the sixty bucks for the measuring wheel and be competitive with your pricing.

6. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

May be a dumb question but do they make such a measuring wheel that calculats how many yards I just never saw one.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

A 'yard' is 3 feet...so yes a wheel ticker (don't know the technical term for the device) will give you feet...just divide by 3 and you will get the amount of 'yards'.

If you meant 'cubic yard'... which is measured in 3 dimensions...L x W x H...its kinda hard to do that with just a wheel...

8. Jerry and Sons

Jerry and Sons LawnSite Member
    from Pa

If you do a search under mulch you will find a site that contains a spread sheet to determine feet inot cubic yards of mulch. I believe that it is www.atSTECKS.com It allows you to enter the area legnth multiplied by the widith. it also has a section for tree rings.