1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by SpudsM15, Feb 14, 2006.

What do you do with your edging debris

1. Do you just shovel into the bed and cover with mulch

1 vote(s)
  2. Break up the clumps as much as possible and cover with mulch

20 vote(s)
  3. Haul away dirt/grass clumps away

33 vote(s)
  1. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

When digging edges for your mulch beds new beds or established edges. Do you leave the dirt and grass clumps in the bed all broken up or take it away..
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Why would you even ask a question like this:confused: Its a detailed oriented business what do you thinkhammer
  3. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

It would be considered half-a- too leave it

Tell client that there is a basic charge to haul it away,but there is no charge to loose it within the clients property.
    9/10 They will find a place for it
  4. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you out trying to make this a stupid question... I'm trying to figure out how guys are charging $40 in labor per yard installed....
    I've been leaving the edging debris in the beds for 3 years now.... Of course on the new beds where there is a very large amount of debris we take that away....
    I don't see how this has anything to do with detail.... the debris gets covered up and acts as more mulch....
  5. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

The mulch will cover those grass clumps as long as they are dispersed evenly. You should not have a problem with weeds if the proper amount is used. Easy to do.
  6. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

A "trenchmaster" leaves no clumps when edging.
  7. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We haul everything off unless the customer has an area they wish to be filled in, we give no breaks in price for dumping/filling in these spots.
  8. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

If this is a bed that needs a edge to be redefined then it most likely will have a pecentage of grass and weeds in the edgeing debris.

It in my opinion would not be a good idea to leave the grass clumps in the bed covered with mulch.I would remove the grass clumps flatten the clumps dirt and then cover with mulch.

Leaving the clumps of grass in the bed and covering would only encourage those grass clums to grow in the bed.

If you edge and come up with alot of grass clumps that is like an extra job
    and you need time to pick them up and haul them away.That time needs to be paid for.

If the client lets you distribute that within the property then it would be easy to wave the charge.

9. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

We remove all grass debris when we re-establish our natural edged beds. Any soil or mulch that is kicked up we re-cycle into the bed. Sometimes the beds require removing the crusty layer of mulch when doing this also.
  10. MJM landscaping

MJM landscaping LawnSite Member

Bark Mulch: I charge $70 per yard installed, clean out beds and edging is all separate. Charge more and hauling it away is the only way.