1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by STRINGALATION, Mar 14, 2007.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone
    I love the look of a neat bed. i have been using a pointed hoe. I am looking for the look i see when a bed edger has been used creating a check mark.
    someone made reference to a trencher. i have a job coming up with about 1ooo linear feet of edging i want to repair and noone here rents a bed edger can i achieve some harmony with a trencher

thanks for any replies
  2. DoubleB

DoubleB LawnSite Member
    from So.Dak.

You can still acheive a nice neat edge without a bed edger. You could use a trencher but personally, I have never used one for edging. If I dont have a bed edger handy I will normally use a straight edge spade (alot of work and sweat). Stay as straight and parallel as possible. Then with your edging insert small metal tuping inside the edging tube. This will keep your edging pretty much perfectly straight, then fill infront and back of edging with your dirt and tamp. Also, for long, straight, edges with a spade, it might be handy to spray a string line for a guide.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Nobody in Louisville rents a bed edger?!! Not only the equipment rental dealers, but check the commercial mower dealers who sell bed edgers for rentals as well. 1000' with a hand tool is self torture.:)
  4. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering lately, most guys charge 1.00 a foot for bed edging. Does this include the retal of the bed shaper?

5. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

$1 a foot? dang that sounds a little high. that means he would be gettin a grand just for edging the beds.
  6. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

.70 cents a liner foot

SILVERSTREAK INC LawnSite Senior Member

i flat charge 15 cents a foot old edge to touch up or 30 cents a foot on a new install edge

with the bededger....god what a machine
  8. maddie

maddie LawnSite Member

Is this price per foot on edging included in your per yard mulch cost. Lets say if you were installing mulch $75 a yard is everthing included or do you charge extra for edging>
  9. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If I edge with a shovel I will follow behind with the stick edger. That cleans up and roughness of the edge. I do not including edging in my mulch price.

STRINGALATION LawnSite Senior Member

Also guys know this I'm trying for a bed with out physical border i think the term is open when i say check mark i believe the blade used is L - shaped
    leaving the whole bed looking sunken. i have found this to be the best way to seperate mulch and grass a lot of lco companies here just drop mulch on the ground and i weed eat and mow mulch al lyear I reall strive to have my work look professional and sense including lawncare with my landscaping i have experienced alot of things i do not like to see