Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by GrassHoppers Lawn, Nov 26, 2007.

1. GrassHoppers Lawn

GrassHoppers Lawn LawnSite Member

I have a client who wants all mulch beds done with an edger machine. I plan on renting one and I need to know how much to charge. Charge by the foot, hour,etc.:cool2:

2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Time and materials. You have to know how long it will take you to do it and then figure out the cost to rent a bed edger and buy the mulch and also figure the disposal of all of the waste from the beds.

Unless you have a burn pit, that will cost you. If you charge by the foot you will lose your shirt unless you are charging like $100/ft or more and no one in their right mind will go for that.

You need to bid a straight hours and materials price and hope you aren't under but if this is your first, you probably will be....(I am brand new at this too and I lose left and right but I am getting faster at the non-mowing stuff)

Good Luck
    Brian

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

you doing the mulching to ?? or just cutting a new edge ?

4. steve5966

steve5966 LawnSite Member

Here where the ground is hard clay, it may take a couple of minutes to edge five feet. It may not sound like long, but if your operating the edger it's an eternity.

5. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

How many linear feet is there?

6. GrassHoppers Lawn

I have 200ft. to edge and i will need to rent the edger. I will be mulching later. I feel that hourly is a good option with rental fees tacked on..THANKS

:usflag:

7. GrassHoppers Lawn

I will be mulching later...

8. clallen03

clallen03 LawnSite Senior Member

We charge .60 per linear foot plus rental fee, only if conditions are ideal. We can rent a bed edger for around $40 for 4 hours but we always charge the client for a full day $70, you never know what you might run into.

200 feet X .60 = $120 + $70 rental fee = $190

Not bad for less then 2 hours worth of work.

Hope this helps