1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bed edging

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by fullburn, Mar 15, 2008.

1. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

What do you tink is the most effiecient way to re edge beds before mulching.
  2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I have always used a nice steel spade to create a deep, defined edge. Takes a while and can be a pain but produces great results.

A bed edger like a Brown or a BedShaper (I've never used one) could be handy in certain applications- few tree roots, no irrigation tubing, LONG bedlines, etc....

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Gotta go with a BROWN bed edger....it makes life so simple and it makes great edges and can be raised or lowered to accommodate lines and wires etc etc...
  4. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

want to find happy medium good quality yet speed, dealing with condo with many edges to redo in spring. why is brown better than bed shaper?
  5. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

6. fishpilot

fishpilot LawnSite Member

I bought a Browns last fall. It is a very nice piece of equipment. Had some belt issues early on but adjusted the tension and bought some gates belts and no issues since. The browns edger has a lot of different bits. We only need about 4 or 5 for what we do. Nice for burying gutter drains and dressing beds especially. Check for underground utilities ALWAYS. Honda engine is a definate plus. Only thing I don't like is having to drag it from place to place.....no self propulsion. Sucks for an old guy.
  7. CustomKare

CustomKare LawnSite Member

I use a Stihl mini cultivator like the Mantis. Loosens the soil then trench it with shovel.
  8. fullburn

fullburn LawnSite Member
    from ct.

Thanks lawn dogg I ordered some blades, I like the idea of using a tool I already own. nerver saw those blades before
  9. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

if you don't like dragging the browns machine around you should check out what Trenchblades do. www.trenchblade.com. they are a lot easer to use that a big machine.
  10. jgiles

jgiles LawnSite Member

Will the trench blade fit an echo edger