Lawn Care Forum banner

bed edging

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  fullburn 
#1 ·
What do you tink is the most effiecient way to re edge beds before mulching.

#2 ·
I have always used a nice steel spade to create a deep, defined edge. Takes a while and can be a pain but produces great results.

A bed edger like a Brown or a BedShaper (I've never used one) could be handy in certain applications- few tree roots, no irrigation tubing, LONG bedlines, etc....

#3 ·
Gotta go with a BROWN bed edger....it makes life so simple and it makes great edges and can be raised or lowered to accommodate lines and wires etc etc...

#6 ·
I bought a Browns last fall. It is a very nice piece of equipment. Had some belt issues early on but adjusted the tension and bought some gates belts and no issues since. The browns edger has a lot of different bits. We only need about 4 or 5 for what we do. Nice for burying gutter drains and dressing beds especially. Check for underground utilities ALWAYS. Honda engine is a definate plus. Only thing I don't like is having to drag it from place to place.....no self propulsion. Sucks for an old guy.

#13 ·
i am not sure about the troy built. Does it have a 1 inch hole in the middle. the blade is 7.75 inches long and 2 inches wide and you need about a half an inch clearance on each side of the blade (flat blade). there are some up close pictures on there site in the photographs section. maby that can help.

#14 ·
Will the trench blade fit an echo edger
If its a straight shaft it should but call James at trenchblade.com he can tell you for sure

#15 ·
I use a Stihl mini cultivator like the Mantis. Loosens the soil then trench it with shovel.
just bought one today and used it..... then realized it will work pretty good "reshaping" the edge and loosening the soil of flower/mulch beds...

#18 ·
Maybe it's me, but that looks like a blade we use all day long on our edgers, 7.5 X 2 pay under a buck a piece for them when we buy 50 or more.
You should take a better look at the photographs on the website. It shows how the blades are flailed in a precision manner so that it can make about a 1.5-2 inch wide trench as opposed to a very small grove that a standard flat blade makes in the soil. I know a guy that tried to make something like that before and it tried to take off like an airplane and vibrated really bad. I have used it and i know for a fact that there is nothing else like it on the market. I found that it works really well and it saves me a lot of time and hard labor. They have a video on there web site that shows what it can do. If you can do that with the blades you use all day long I need to get some of those for sure.

#20 ·
How is it different form a regular edger blade is it bent on the edges to make a wider gap in the dirt?

RCGM
Brad
Yep. It is flailed in opposite directions on each end just enough to still fit on the the edger and still make a wide enough trench that can be handy in a few different scenarios in the landscape. I have found that you can angle the edger slightly and make the trench a little wider than just going straight along the bed line, but that also depends on how powerful your edger is and what the soil conditions are.

#22 ·
Look at the Edge R Rite by Turfco. It does what a spade does only super fast up to 4 iches deep. It has a cutting blade that cuts like a sod cutter (back and forth) and does not throw stuff up into the beds. Just cuts it and leaves it lay so you can pick it up with a shovel. this way nice beds do not have to have new mulch. It goes in front of you like a rolliing rotary edger so you are right on top of what you are edging. This makes it easy to just take a small amout and not make the beds grow too fast. This is the edger that Arlington in DC uses for their flower beds so they always stay nice looking. You can see it at Turfco.com

#23 ·
Through some great trading, I got a sidewinder superpivot by turfteq. I would say that it is the best out there, I have now made my money back, as I only had 3600 in it. I use BOTH the bed opener and groomer, and the value of this machine is that it has both systems. You can see vids at www.turfteq.com I think the price keeps my service in demand, as no one has one around here, and a brown would just suck pulling it in the mountains here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.