Bed edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnut101, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

How do you charge for bed edging? I'm putting in a bid with a guy and he wants his beds raked, edged, and mulched. I know how to charge for the other stuff, but I've never done edging before. I measure about 84 yds/paces to edge. I have to rent an edger, so should I charge the cost of the rental plus a certain amount per yard, or just 3x the rental cost? Thanks in advance for help.

2. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Typically you would charge by the foot. I've found I am lower than some of the guys say on here, but it's pretty quick and easy with the right equipment. I discount this service depending on the size of the mulch job.

3. Lawnut101

Thanks for your reply. What's the going rate in your area per foot?

4. Trenchblade

Trenchblade LawnSite Senior Member

You should check out trenchblade, it may be able to same you some time and money on reshaping your beds. www.trenchblade.com

5. Superior L & L

Superior L & L LawnSite Senior Member

We charge from 0-$2 a foot. We also have two bed edging machines so we have no rental cost. Smaller runs are in the $1.50-$2.00 a foot range. Larger commercial stuff would be under a dollar for sure. Its hard to charge $900 for 900 feet of natural edge when you can spray it and pull it in a couple of hours

6. Lawnut101

Thanks for the help. I figured if it would cost me about $.25 per foot. So I'm going to charge about $1/ft. Now, I'm not sure if they guy wants this kind of edging, or if he wants plastic edging installed. How would I charge for this kind of work?

7. Lawnut101

Thanks for the help. I figured if it would cost me about $.25 per foot. So I'm going to charge about $1/ft. Now, I'm not sure if they guy wants this kind of edging, or if he wants plastic edging installed. How would I charge for this kind of work? Thanks for the help.

8. Lawnut101

Thanks for the help. I figured if it would cost me about $.25 per foot. So I'm going to charge about $1/ft. Now, I'm not sure if they guy wants this kind of edging, or if he wants plastic edging installed. How would I charge for this kind of work? Thanks for the help.

9. Lawnut101

10. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I charge $2.50 per ft with $150 minimum to bring the bedbug out and plastic edging add $2 per ft to that