Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Going Commercial, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Going Commercial

Going Commercial LawnSite Member

Is it worth it to rent a bed-shaper edger? I have a job that has 2000ft of edging to be done. It is a commercial site and I am not sure how to charge. How much $ per foot or should I charge by the hr. I am not sure how long it will take, I am used to residential work. I never used a bed shaper before. I usually hand edge with shovel. Thanks.

2. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I would buy one. Doing that by hand would take to long. Even if you didnt make any money on that job after paying off the bed edger. you would have saved alot of time and have been able to take other work.
    Plus you would have a bed edger that you OWN that will start making you money.

3. silverscapes

silverscapes LawnSite Member
    from de

once you try one you never use a shovel ever again

4. Going Commercial

Any input on what I should charge for the job. I don't know how much to charge. How much /ft or by hourly rate. If hourly is suggested how long do you think it will take? The beds are not terrible.

5. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

How long will it take you to walk 1/2 mile? Thats how quick it will edge. They rent for $65/day around here. Well worth the rental price.

6. Going Commercial

Do you charge by the foot or hour. This is a 12 acre site and I have beds everywhere. It is not like walking a straight line. I am looking for a ballpark figure to charge. ???

7. bakerc8

bakerc8 LawnSite Member

2 a sq foot

8. Going Commercial

Thanks for the info.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

Do you mean $2 per linear foot? So that would be $4,000 for 2,000 feet of edging?

So rent an edger for $65, run it for 20 minutes, and charge $4,000? Nice!

10. h400exinfl

h400exinfl LawnSite Member
    from Florida

What do these things go for brand new? Ball park?