Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by OBX, Mar 12, 2011.

1. OBX

OBX LawnSite Member

What do you guys use for bed edging? A customer likes trenching but now after having it for a couple of years the edges have erosion. He wants something to eliminate erosion but doesn't want brick/normal edging borders.

2. lukemelo216

lukemelo216 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ...

what do you mean the edges have erision? What exactly is eroding? Is it something he has done on a yearly basis?

3. OBX

OBX LawnSite Member

We cut a square trench around the beds and the dirt is eroding on the bed edge.

4. lukemelo216

from ...

you mean the dirt from the flower bed is washing down into the bed edge and filling it in more or less?

Well yeah thats going to happen, you need to mulch the flowerbeds so then the dirt doesnt fill in the edge. Then usually 2xs a year we rake back the mulch about 1 ft, redefine the edge and then rake the mulch back. no problems then

5. OBX

OBX LawnSite Member

Luke
    I've done that but the erosion still happens. Part of this problem is there are tree roots that spring up on the edge and the dirt breaks loose over into the edge.

6. lukemelo216

from ...

how deep are you trenching the edge? and what are you using? The main thing I can recommend is edging it at least 2-3 times yearly thats what we do. We have been selling what we call midseason clean ups and we reedge all the beds then, and then again in the fall too. Generally 3 times yearly. try edging a little deeper too.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. TSB group

TSB group LawnSite Member

Buy the Echo redefiner...you can thank me after you pick it up!

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Get a tiller head for a Stihl and throw that thing away!

9. OBX

OBX LawnSite Member

We hand cut the edge cutting it square about 5-6" deep.

10. lukemelo216

from ...

thats fine and dandy for the first time, but you should look into like the redefiner or something. Then upsell some reedging in the summmer. Its what we do when the grass slows down. Thats where I got the idea for the midseason clean up.

We will go through re-edge the beds, turn/fluf the mulch to freshen it up, pick up any small debris, usually apply a second round or pre-em to the flower beds for weed control, lightly trim up any shrubs stuff like that. its a really good seller, and since in the middle of the summer you generally arent mowing as much if its dry, its a good revenue producer