Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by YardGuy, Nov 19, 2000.

1. YardGuy

YardGuy LawnSite Member

metal,timbers,trenches(type,tool),berms? what do you find the most pleasing and workable?
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

This probably isn't the answer you were looking for, but given customer constraints (their budget, tastes), I try to design what'll look best with the scape: stone, brick, trench, black poly, aluminum, wood. They're all workable, and 'most pleasing' depends on the design to be used.
  3. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I like to use trenches around berms..Makes for easy maintenance..Pretty much cut all trimmer work when mowing..I usually just outline the beds and trench around them with old fashioned elbow grease..(shovel and mattic)..Clean-Cut
  4. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

I present all options to cutomer and then work with their preference and pocketbook. However, I personally prefer stone set on edge in a trench with mortar and re-bar tying all together. Works great in high traffic areas and will last forever...or until new owner decides to rip out and put in plastic, ugh!
  5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We use all of the above types of edging. It depends on the type of landscape that it will be going in. Cost is another issue. Black diamond edging and natural edging is the most popular and cost effective. There is also an excellent profit with these. If you have a trenchmaster it is really fast work.