bed edging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sawdust, Mar 30, 2004.

1. sawdust

sawdust LawnSite Member

How many feet per minute do you think you can cut with a bed shaper? don't know how to price work. Any input will help.

2. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Charge $1 per ft

3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

too many variables........soil moisture, roots, etc......I usually just charge my hourly rate....with a 1 hour minimum.....plus the rental fee for the machine......

Derek

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

there are no variables with a bed edging machine, they will go through anything as fast as you can pull it. When they can do 30-40 ft per minute, you will not make much charging by the hour. I have done up to 600 ft in just over 15 min, id rather make $600 for the job than $20 charging by the hour.

5. mjensen

mjensen LawnSite Member

Can you explain what a bed edger is? Sounds like there is really good money in this?

6. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

We make fine money charging $.50 per foot plus rental fee.

Rent a Brown edger. They're awesome baby

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

Well...let see........the last job I did was only about 50 feet of edging. Charged $80.00......took me about ten minutes.......cost to rent edger $37.00.

kept $43......that is about $258 per hour. Pretty good when you figure I was only looking to make $40 per hour.

This was part of a $500.00 spring clean up/mulch job.

Works for me...

Derek

8. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we offer many different landscape services....the top 2 most profitable by far are:

1. bed edging with machine
    2. machine bed edging

very profitable...and very ez with the machines

a $1500 revenue day is very doable....

now I can see some of you salavating out there....but the key is to charge the right amount.

we've never had a single customer complaint about a few hundred dollars to have their edges done...and the people who used to do it themselves, think its a real bargain given the fact it took them days to do it by hand and cart off the soil edges