Bed Edging

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by seasonal services, Apr 22, 2004.

1. seasonal services

seasonal services LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I was wondering if I can edge a mulch bed with just a regular egder that I edge the sidewalks with, it seems it would work for me because i think I can egde it and make it straight, then pull it back with a shovel or by hand. Whats everyones input??
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I use a straight sod cutter to cut deep down like this | and then use a hoe to cut into the ground like this / and its easy to make a nice trench.....or buy a bed edger...($$$)
  3. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

the bed scaper by ez trench looks like it would be a wonderful investment. I will be renting something called Bed Shaper by little wonder for all my beds though, its like 75 dollars a day to rent.
  4. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using my sidewalk edger, it works okay!

Any other tips, would be appreciated lol..
  5. legendrider

legendrider LawnSite Member

From what I have observed and worked with, the bed shaper does a great job but nothing beats an old sharp spade shovel and a rake.
  6. lawnmedic1

lawnmedic1 LawnSite Member

We use a stick edger to edge the drives and walks we mow. We have an Ez-trencher we purchased used from a local rental company for cutting beds. We rented one for the first few years until we we had enough business to justify buying one...Chuck