1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed edgings.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnyjay, Feb 10, 2001.

1. johnnyjay

johnnyjay LawnSite Member

Bed edgings.

When do you edge beds with your bed edgers? Do you put down preemergent to stop any seeds from growing and put down mulch at the same time?
  2. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

It usually helps to to all at the same time. The pre app. is upon request. Sometimes we coordinate with the customer so they can put it down.
  3. KindGardener

KindGardener LawnSite Member

I'm real green at this, but YES, I have used preemergents in the planter beds. it works! got a huge bag of dimension for $50. I figure the time it will save me in the next year pulling weeds PLUS the "better look" of the weed-free beds.

I have quite a number of bi-weekly accts that I mainly care for their shrubs & annual plantings (with a chiquita lawn, if any). I only applied pre-emergent to a few a couple months ago, and can tell the diffference. Now all have it.

I will spray my lawns with crabgrass preemergent (later this month or early March is the time I'm told is good for SoCalif).

Any comments from other CA LCOs?
  4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

We usually clean the beds and trench, but never have put down pre-m in the beds, sounds like a good idea though.
  5. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We usually edge our beds with a trenchmaster and then follow up with an application of mulch. I sub out the chem to a friend who enetered the business 3 seasons ago.

Hope this helps.
  6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen the trenches, but not the machine.
    This is the first I've heard of it.
    What is it and how come nobody has it on their list of what they have?
  7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

8. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Island lawn- I happened to stumble onto mine 3 yrs ago. Got it thru a mail order catalog (Northern I think). Its actually a beefed up sidewalk edger with the bed trench attachment on the side of the motor instead of the front.

Since then I have seen it go thru some upgrades. I have an E-Z trench that you must pull backward to edge. If you can afford 1500-2500 get one that has a steerable option. Mine has stationary wheels so its kinda tough to make tree rings and tight curves. Practice makes perfect.