bed lengths

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by boonehockey, Jul 11, 2009.

1. boonehockey

boonehockey LawnSite Member

Im looking at used trucks. what bed length would be most usefull a far a holding tools and branches and whatever else. would a 8 ft bed be most efficient or a 6.5ft bed.

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

A bigger bed will hold more stuff.

If you use the truck to plow in the winter....... nevermind just saw you are in Florida.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on application? with a longer wheelbase you get added towing & hauling capacity, and wider turing radius.

Shorter wheelbase, you get a good turning radius, less towing & hauling capacity.

It all comes down to what you want & can find & the price.

4. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

I cannot understand why anybody would waste money on anything less than a 8' bed. In my opinion, always get the best or biggest you can afford reasonably. However, if you're in the city, maybe a short bed would be okay. Out here in the county, you get laughed at if you can't haul an 8' 2x4.

5. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

our chevy is a short bed (6.5') and the difference in what you can haul with our 8' bed Ford is unbelievable. especially since the chevy has a toolbox mounted on there as well, your left with about 50 some inches of open bed.

6. LewisLawn

LewisLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a dodge dakota and it is a quadcab which gives it a really short bed but i can haul any hand held tool you can name in the bed even a string trimmer...yes i am limited to carrying other items like larger branches etc...but that is why i have a trailer...larger truck does offer you the ability to tow a larger trailer..but check regulations inyour area according to what you need in terms of brakes on truck and trailer

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

The 8ft bed is good for working out of. I would only buy a short bed pickup if it was my personal truck.

8. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

the longer the better

9. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what she said :cool2:

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's what they all say.