1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Liners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric ELM, Mar 1, 2000.

1. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

This was brought up last year on the old forum and with all the new guys we now have, I thought it was worth mentioning again.<p>Sliding a gas can across a bed liner can cause static electricity, which in turn can cause a spark to ignite gas. The safest way to fill a can is to take it out of the bed of your truck and place it on the ground. I still touch the can with one had while holding the nozzle in the other hand to make sure when I touch the nozzle to the can, I won't have a spark. This procedure gets rid of static electricity. Gas is dangerous and I just wanted you new guys to be aware of this and refresh the older posters memory on this subject. I know a guy that got burned with gas and it's not a pretty site.<p>I also saw a guy that works at Lesco last summer that got burned by gas just working on a mower. It was caused by static electricity. Both arms and his face was all messed up. I'm just trying to help you guys. I know you say, it only happens to others, but it can happen to you. BE SAFE GUYS. Once this season gets rolling, we don't have time to be in hospitals.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>
  2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Good point Eric, That is one reason that plastic fuel cans should not be used! <p>----------<br>paul<br>
  3. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

It'll happen with metal too. Dont fall into a false sense of security. <p>Bill
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

With the proper metal saftey can, the one with the internal type closeure and spark arestor screen you should not have a problem.<br><p>----------<br>paul<br>
  5. CA Enterprises

CA Enterprises LawnSite Member

Paul,<p>What kind of can are talking about? I don't think I have seen a can with flame arrestor before. Where do you get one and what is the price? Say for 5 or 10 gallon can? How do they work? Anything special to it?<br>I have been using plastic just because they are cheaper. Yes always remove them from the vehicle when fueling and I am the one that gets the fuel because I don't want to pay higher workers comp!!!!!!!<p><p>----------<br>Adam<br>Clovis, NM
  6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

They are called type II safety cans <br>They will be UL and ULC listed and FM approved.<br>Cost for a 5 gallon can about $50<p>----------<br>paul<br>
  7. CA Enterprises

CA Enterprises LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul,<p>I had never thought that the ones I was using wasn't good enough. They all say they are rated for fuel storage.<p>I'll certainly check into it. I don't want the OSHA to find the ones I have now. I have always tried to keep the proper equipment. More Money, More Money!!!!#$@$$##<br><p>----------<br>Adam<br>Clovis, NM
  8. fireball

fireball LawnSite Member
    from ne Pa

Thank you Eric for your insight. I'll add my two cents worth but I see more guys get in trouble over gas cans than anything. If you guys ever read the wage and hour standard that is posted where employees can see it in a firm that is trying to do a good job, you will see who is covered under OSHA and who is not. Now for the firms that have to comply, they need the metals cans with the safety caps, and spark arrestors. They are available at Lesco for 36.00 for 5 gallons. Now here comes the wrinkle. Anything over 2 litres is Haz Mat. US DOT specifies that gas must be transported in a container with rollover protection device(this is a guard welded to the tank that prevents the nozzel from being sheared off in a collision)Yes, gas cans become naplam bombs when you rear end someone going 40 mph. the cheapest these gas tanks are 179.00 for a five gallon can. Now in order to be tagged with this violation on a truck inspection is you have to be driving a 10,000GVW truck or larger within 6 miles of an interstate highway. Most truck inspectors will look the other way if they see you have the safety cans and they are in a secure area on your vechile(most guys put them in large milk crates which are fastened to the trailer or truck. Most of them realize that 180.00 for a gas can is too much for the little guy. Of course, if you are a as_hole or if the whole rig doesn't present itself good, they will provide you with all the paperwork and fines that you can handle.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Now I'm confused! I use the plastic gas cans and they normally ride in the back of the truck. From what I'm reading this is totally illegal right? I have a plastic tool box mounted to the tongue of my trailer. Would this be an acceptable place to start storing all of my gas? If it did fall over it would be in its own safety container. As far as static electricity is concerned, are you saying that when you go to the gas station to fill your cans the plastic will create static electricity when slid across the bedliner? The metal nozzle on the gas pump is contacting the plastic jug, will that cause a spark??? I need educating quick I guess. This is the way I've always done it and I'll consiser myself lucky since I've never had a problem, but I will also make some changes to make sure nothing does. How about putting a rubber mat under the gas containers. I picked one up at one of my restaurants the other day that was being thrown away. Its one they use in the kitchen so they won't slip.<p>Homer
  10. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Homer,<br>The problem is the plastic can sliding on the plastic or rubber bed liner, it can create static electricity maybe leading to a spark. The best thing to do is to use the safety cans. and fill them on the ground.<br>Good tip have a 10 or 20 pound fire extinguisher mounted on the truck, not inside the cab, easily reached and close to where you fill the mowers<p>----------<br>paul<br>