bed maintenance advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tranum, Feb 18, 2003.

1. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

customer has opened new business. has an island bed in front, approximately 1500 sf, planted with juniper, indian hawthorne, border grasses, day lillies, etc. mulched w/pine bark nuggets. unknown to the owner when he installed plant material, the general contractor had seeded this bed with ryegrass. you can imagine what it looks like now. any suggestions on a practical way to get rid of the rye other than hand weeding. bed is pretty much full of plants so spraying would be limited unless there is something i could use that would not hurt the plants. it's a mess and i'm unsure how best to attack. any suggestions are appreciated

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

wow. how long have the plants been there? im thinking if not too long, get some burlap, remove the plants, spray the bed, after a couple weeks, put plants back in and remulch

3. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

plants were installed mid-november & there are a ton of them. the rye (annual) should eventually die out in hot weather. i initially though about adding 3 or more inches of a denser mulch to cover the rye until it died out but i'm sure in a few weeks time it would probably grow thru the additional mulch. all i know for sure is it's a mess!!

4. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

my guess might be : lay landscape fabric over grass an existing mulch.Mulch bed again with shredded hardwood.grass will dye off an nothing new will come up.I know it may be tough with all the plant material already there.

5. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

There should be products out to kill off the grasses and not harm the plants and ornamentals....Just not sure of the name of the product though!!:(

Sorry,

Andy

6. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Its called Ornamec. Also try Fusilade II.

7. imalandscper

imalandscper LawnSite Member

Ornamec...that is it thanks green man...heard of fusiladII but never tried it...how does that work greenman?

Thanks,

Andy

8. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

2-4-D which i think those above contain if not mistaken.

I would probably pull and weed eat the most visible that you can get to, spay the rest with 2-4-D, and then maybe use a mulch or shredded bark to keep weeds down for future.

I avoid using chemicals as much as I can but in this situation, does not sound like much else to do. Some will no doubt disagree with me, but I would use caution applying this chemical as there has been some studies done that show harmful health effects.

Good luck.

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Ornamec and Fusilade do not contain 2,4-D. Its flauzifop. Also, 2,4-D to kill rye? :confused:

10. Organix

Organix LawnSite Member

oops, your right, duh...LOL

2-4-D = broadleaf killer. See, I told you I did not use chemicals much hehe.