1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bed maintenance and cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmorris, Jul 28, 2004.

1. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

I went today to give an estimate for the mowing of a property. The lady then asked me to look over her flower beds and wanted an estimate to clean them, dig up some plants and replant them and she also wanted me to trim some hedges. I am still new at the whole landscape cleanup thing. What would be a reasonable estimate per man hr to lock in this job?
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

you have to know what it costs to run your business before you can answer that. some guys could "profit" for $10/hr and a 6-pack. professionals might charge 25-90/hr depending on work load, market tolerances, tasks, etc.
  3. Lakeside

Lakeside LawnSite Member

we just bid a property today that required an estimated 4 hours of trimming in the flower bed (it's out of control). we dont have to haul off the excess, and we charged 350. we got the deal, so that is a little over 85 and hour
  4. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

just estimate the amout of hours then plug in your hourly rate and also factor in the number of men you will have with you and just add in their hourly rates with your's.
  5. cmorris

cmorris LawnSite Member

thanks, I bid $375, it will take about 6 hrs with two guys. They called back and asked me to lower price to $300. I said no and we hung up, 30 minutes later they called back again and agreed to the $375.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Good for you sticking by your guns. A few years ago I gave an estimate for scalping and aeration. The guy talked me down $75 and I agreed. I walked away laughing about it. It kind of hit my like a ton of bricks. I have never had anyone talk me down and was a little taken by it. Before and since then, I have NEVER lowered my prices for anyone. It turned out ok though, I still ended making over $70 and hour and still provide these services to this couple every spring.
  7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

I had the owner of 3 McDonalds ask me to lower a price on one of his stores to get all three. I did, and still make good money at it.
    Gotta know when to hold em, and when to fold em

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've learned to always quote them a higher price than what I would be willing to work for, because a lot of people want to negotiate. This way the customer feels like they got something, and I still get a price I'm happy with.

Best case scenario, they bite for the higher price.