1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed Maintenance how often per season?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by wherebluegrassgrows, Feb 21, 2006.

1. wherebluegrassgrows

wherebluegrassgrows LawnSite Member

How many times do you figure you will have to clean a bed in a season?
    I have only cleaned as needed never on a schedule. I'm talking commercial bid
    The company didn't limit and I really don't know how many to times to figure.
    Any Info Thanks.
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

depends on a few things...

first off, are you going to apply pre emergent?
    how were the beds last year??? if they were weedy then, they will be this year.
    are there weedy propertied upwind??

these will determine the frequency, as with customer expectations on how good the beds need to look...

On our upscale commercial properties, we spend 10Hrs a week weeding beds.
  3. wherebluegrassgrows

But how do you know when you submit a bid how many visits there will be? I have no idea how the beds grew last year this bid is for a new account. Most of the area surounding property is paved or concrete no weedy neighbors. The client wants the bid on clean up and care up front. He wants to know how many times it will be serviced in a year.
  4. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Tell him twice a month you will weed the beds and refresh the mulch as needed.
  5. wherebluegrassgrows

I'll go with that thanks!
  6. The Cowboy

The Cowboy LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by refreshing mulch? Does that mean adding some?
  7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yes as needed only..or rake it over so it looks better.
    As far as refreshing mulch you need to see if the existing mulch now needs replacing or just refreshing.
    But with a new bid..you should figure on adding mulch if it's thin and re-mulching completely later on once youv'e landed the account.What I am saying is add in money so you can have it for the mulch througout the year
  8. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Yes or turning it with a tiller to bring the color back.
  9. wherebluegrassgrows

By refresh I meant add if needed or turn it over. Right now it looks like it will all be removed looks like chunks of cypress about a inch thick.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We get by with every other week on weeding. IMHO, the more often you do it the less time it takes...

Doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you spend an extra 15-30 minutes on the account every other week it seems better than spending a few hours at the end of a month...not to mention the place really starts to look ratty by the end of the month.