1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bed maintenance!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Slcareco, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

How many times do you visit a clients house to maintain the beds?

I was thinking....

1 time for mulch, weeding, fresh shovel edge in april, may

• 1 time every month to weed
    • 1 last shovel edge before winter
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Every week when i am servicing the rest of the property. Full service or no service. Surflan in spring at high rate and little to no maintenance the rest of the year. mulch if they want but most like plain jane dirt.
  3. Slcareco

interesting anyone else???
  4. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

For bed/border maintenance I wold say once a week... since they usually contain annuals, perennials, etc... things will always need to be deadheaded and cleaned up... as you already know sanitation is very important! This also gives you an opportunity to monitor the plants... keep an eye out for any disease/pest problems.

As for weeding, mulching, edging, etc I don't think once a week is necessary. But then again i depends on the place too... so I think some if it is just getting out there and seeing what you're up against... that will help you make a better decision.

It can become a bit much for a business owner with many accounts, especially with people who want everything done for them, so finding a balance always works tooo :waving:
  5. Slcareco

What a brilliant response! So what would this once a week pretain then? and how much would you charge?
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

On my landscape-only customers, I check bi-weekly. This includes spraying for weeds & pulling only if absolutely necessary & already dead.
  7. Slcareco

what you mean you check? on what and what about ur non landscape clients?
  8. scmel04

scmel04 LawnSite Member

Landscape clients should be visited once a week for mowing, because we all know if you skip a week (like some people like to do haha) the grass gets too high. But maybe one every other week works too.

But as far as non-landscape customers (ex not mowing), this "once a week" would pertain mostly to keeping the beds tidy and clean. In the beginning of the growing season, most plants are just getting started, but it's as the season progresses that they need the weekly attention. A lot of annuals need to be deadheaded (with Felcos! haha) to keep flowering, and as some perennials are coming into and out of flowering they also need to be deadheaded, cut back, etc. Other things might need staking, cleaning, monitoring and so on.

This might not be necessary for all of your clients since some might not have large amounts of property and gardens to take care of. Some might like to do it themselves and just want cleanups, mowing, and turf mamangement.

Like I said, it's really a matter of actually getting to someone's house that you will have a better idea of what you can do. When you're there for weekly mowings, you can take some extra time and go about their gardens. As far as charging, I'm on the same boat as you... still learning.

Maybe a flat rate would be best...kind of like how you decide on a mowing price. But I'm still learning myself... soooo.... hope this helps.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Bed weeding is included in my regular lawn service.

I would say no less than every 2 weeks, because you want to keep on top of it.
    Once the weeds are out of control, it takes forever.
    A month is really too long, because so long you've got a hold on the situation, it's not that big of a deal.
    You may not have to do anything every visit, but you need to check on it or it can get hairy on ya.

Unless it's really bad, I take the round up that I use to spray cracks in the sidewalks (etc) into the bed and spot-spray any weeds (mind the plants lol).
    Usually only takes a few minutes so I don't charge extra for it, but my service isn't cheap so...

If it is really bad AND the customer mentions it, I ask them if they wouldn't mind, in between my visits, maybe help me out a little.
    Those who care do, and most who mention it care, so it works out beautiful.
  10. Slcareco

Thank you scmelly, heh I heard Corna products are better then Felco tho? haha

topsites you say its included in the lawn maintenance how much do you charge every 2 weeks to add to the bill?

I have $30/hr for weeding but if its every 2 weeks and hopefully its not a mess each time how much could be charged or should be? I know size depending and all but what would be a good formula or standard of charging for such services