Bed pre emergents

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by jckrier2010, Aug 14, 2011.

1. jckrier2010

jckrier2010 LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

Going to start my own lawn care company next year and wanted to know what everbody uses for bed pre emergents? I have used freehand at my previous job and it did not give the results i would have liked. Just trying to get some ideas.
  2. Snapshot for granular and sureguard for liquid
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. jckrier2010

from Kansas

Thanks for input
  4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I've had mixed results with Snapshot this season. I did use it on some pretty nasty properties, so I wonder if it's going to take a couple of seasons of control before I see the results I'm looking for.

5. Prob it. If they have been neglected for a while you have to figure there are a lot of seeds in the soil so I'm sure it will take a few apps for control. Snapshot is an excellent product IMO.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. jckrier2010

from Kansas

What would be the preferred application equipment for liquid and granular bed pre emergents? I was just going to use a backpack sprayer for the liquid. Not sure on the granular though.
  7. I use one of those scott's hand spreaders from HD and it works well.
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

snapshot will control more weeds per label and experience than freehand, but both have thier place especially since freehand controls nutsedge.

also, it does take a couple of years of staying on it to get good control with a nasty place. make sure to spray what does come up thru the snapshot in a timely manner to avoid further seeding and you will notice a tremendous dif the next season(still treating of course)
  9. Agreed. I applied snapshot to a bed that had torpedo grass(not on label and very hard to get rid of). After one app, there has not been any torpedo grass and it has been 2 years. Snapshot has great residual efficacy as well. On a bad area, one app won't do it. After years of neglect, there will be tons of seeds in the soil.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Follow the directions--read the label--try not to kill any bushes. Can injure roots. Try not to get much in the grass or let it wash downhill during rain events.