Bed Prep

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by echeandia, Feb 24, 2007.

1. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

When you prep beds for your customers do you remove and dispose of the old mulch prior to cultivating the ground or do you just turn the old much into the soil? Or do you really cheap out and just drop new mulch on top of the old?

2. Buckeye Lawncare

Buckeye Lawncare LawnSite Member

I just drop the new stuff on top of the old stuff. That being said, the mulch that I use pretty much turns into topsoil after a year. My customers are happy with it, so I am happy.payup

If they want to pay me the extra money to remove the old mulch I will, but most don't.

Happy customer= paying customer!

3. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

my mulch last a good couple of years before it needs a new layer. I do not remove old mulch...really not much left by then....

4. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

i usually dont remove it unless the customer asks.

5. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

if its natural mulch and not pallets , i just topdress with new after a year it turns to soil..if pallet dyed mulch i remove...doesnt really break down and grows harmful mold jepordizing health of plants its been utilized to protect....

6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Do any of you turn over or till the ground?

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

When we install plants we mix in the surrounding dirt with nutrient enriched compost and fertilizer. It is bad on plants to place too much mulch around the base of them. It can make the soil sour. When we put down new mulch the old layer gets a light raking to break up the compacted layer so roots can breath.

8. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

Most wood mulchs no matter how you get them will break down into compost.The exception to this is cypress mulch.It does'nt matter the color.It turns into a mat and causes water run off along with other problems.If your going to use it then I would turn it if they want to pay for it.Even remove it if they want.More often then not they just want it thrown on top.I do make sure all the edges are cut in to retain the mulch under heavy rain.