Bed problem

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by lonestaros, Jul 31, 2006.

1. lonestaros

lonestaros LawnSite Member

Hi, I hope this is the correct forum. I could use ya'lls expert advice. I have a maintenance customer who is a PITA. He has his beds mulched and virtually no ground cover left after a year. I treated the nutgrass with sedgehammer, but am having trouble getting it to die off. It has been 10 days now with only minimal yellowing. I dont know if I added too much soap or what? I sprayed each plant until it started dripping. Also, the system is irrigated, but like I said earlier, the ground cover just isnt staying. I am about to treat the dallis grass. Can you also identify what this grass/weed is for me? It looks like it is on a runner. I have attached a pic of the nutgrass, 10days after treatment (this was a large one, the smaller ones show a bit more yellowing. You can also see the ground cover). and I attached a pic of the runner.
    Any help would be great.
    Thanks.

07302006(013).jpg

07302006(014).jpg

2. lonestaros

I included better daytime pics.

07312006(001).jpg

07312006(002).jpg

07312006(009).jpg

07312006(007).jpg

3. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

the grass is a mix of bahia and bermuda and the broadleaf is lespedeza . is it nutsedge you are trying to get rid of ? use halosulfuron (manage) and water it in with at least 1/2 " of water .

4. lonestaros

I am trying to get rid of EVERYTHING.. but the ground cover (and desirable shrubs, ie. holly)

5. befnme

you will prob have to do a total kill on everything on the ground then start all over with the ground cover . but remember trying to be rid of bermuda is almost an endless battle . becvause it grows from rhisomes under the ground it has a lot more growth than you can actualy see . try round-up max @ 2 oz per gallon with 1 oz per gallon of an adjuvant like penetron. give it a week to 10 days then decide whether you need a second app.

6. lonestaros

Thank You!

7. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

out of curiousity, what kind of weed/grass is being pointed by the orange stick and what is their background on control?

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=61294&d=1154362405

i owned a home where this was a problem in the landscape beds and sometimes in the lawn. they were easy to pull up, but always seemed to come up quickly everywhere. it looks like it was intentionally planted at the side of the lake so i couldn't get rid of the source.

i assume rhizomes were the problem with just pulling them up not to mention their seed?

i also see crabgrass in one of the pictures. yikes.

8. befnme

that is sedge :Cyperus esculentus
    Globe Nutsedge (Yellow Nutsedge)

This is a perennial weed that produces zillions of seeds by a very thin creeping stem. The roots are tipped by small tubers.

Very invasive. To eliminate the weed, digging down to get the tubers could be helpful .

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Nutsedge will start to show signs of dying out around 10 days to 2 weeks.
    I believe if you use a guud non-ionic surfactant made for this pourpose you will have better results than with dish soap.

For the bermuda, I would use ornamec or roundup. It may take more than 1 application and the best times for applications are in the fall and spring, according to the lable. For the rest of the weeds I would use roumdup and then follow with a good preemergent

10. lonestaros

Thanks again... Quick question. what kind of ground cover is this? It is the 3rd pic on my 2nd post (07312006(009).jpg )