Bed redefiners?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by greenfrog, May 26, 2011.

1. greenfrog

greenfrog LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the Echo bed redefiner. There has to be a quicker way to get a good edge on a mulch bed. If this tool works well I am going to invest the $600.00. Thanks for reading my thread.

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Save your money. Buy a brown or bluebird. It does okay on soft soil but I doubt its abilities on clay or roots. 600 is way too much for a fancy edger blade.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. GravelyWoman

GravelyWoman LawnSite Member

I bought one this week and trust me it is more than a "fancy edger." What would have normally taken me 1 hour this week to re cut flower beds took me all of about 15 mins! Love it, love it, love it!! An edger has one single blade running, this has about 5-6 wide blades running!

I recut an entire yard this week in about 35 minutes and 175.00 dollars later! people love it!!

Thanks!

4. CheapScapesNC

CheapScapesNC LawnSite Member

Stay away from the echo bed edger, it is junk. Trench Master makes a good one, costs more but well worth it.

5. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

Disagree

Agree

Disagree

6. Patriot Services

If you have ever used both there is no comparison. The Echo cannot compete with 5.5 HP and 65ft per minute of output. The brown will create an edge where there wasn't one.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. JDiepstra

JDiepstra LawnSite Bronze Member

The machines you guys are talking about are all over $2000. I would hope they are better. The Echo is a bed REDEFINER. It's does a fantastic job at REDEFINING beds. It will also pay for itself in short order.

8. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

No way. I bought one 3 years ago and it was the biggest waste of money that I ever paid for. At best it will put an edge about 1 1/2" deep. Which is not an acceptable edge. If you are looking to provide a quality service to your customer do not use this piece of junk. Not to mention it makes such a mess everywhere, you spend more time picking up afterwards. If it was $275, then maybe it would be worth it. But for $600? Forget it.

9. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I bought one last summer. We have been using it all spring. It cuts a 2.5 inch deep edge. The edge holds up fine. It is not great for new beds/edges, but it is very good for cleaning an old edge before mulching. For $600, you can make serious cash with this thing if you charge by the foot to re-edge.

You must walk it backwards like in the video, or it gets messy. If you do it right, there is almost no cleanup...we just run the blower along the edge to clean up the dust.

It can clog up if the conditions are wet.

10. Patriot Services

Must be a northern thing. When we do a mulch job we cut a new edge. Regular mowing gets maintained with the curved shaft edger. I have never been asked to just redefine the edge and charge by the foot. Might be just me.
    Posted via Mobile Device