1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bed shaper or bed edger?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by turfsolutions, Feb 10, 2003.

1. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I was looking to purchase an edging machine for this coming season. I have looked at but not demo'd the bed edger and bed shaper. Anyone with experience with either of these machines, or any of the like, let me know what your opinions of them are. Keep in mind that the majority of the edging work I need done is redefining of beds prior to mulching. I am more interested in how they perform for this type of work as opposed to creating new beds. Although I wouldn't mind hearing how they perform when creating new beds.

Thanks for any imput.
  2. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

I like grinding type edger for making new beds. Bed shaper for redefining bed.( you must pick up the slice but no dirt on flowers or beds etc.)
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

ive used the qwik trench machine. it worked awesome. it chews up most of the grass, but you will have to pick through and get a few clumps out. it does a good job of making a nice deep edge, and pushing the dirt up to the side.
  4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a Brown bed edger. It makes a lot of dirt when cutting edges. Even just cleaning them up it creates a fair amount of topsoil. I have not used the bed shaper, but it "appears" that it should make less debris piles. To me, it looks like it may be a little more difficult to keep good straight lines going the way it works, I may be wrong though. I think the debate would be that although the Brown does turn up a lot of soil, you need to get deep enough to make a good "check mark" type cut so you can taper the mulch down below the turf level. It would be nice to run them side by side. The thing I don't like about the bed shaper is it's about $1300 or $1400 more than the Brown bed edger. That's a lot of dough!
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

6. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

bob, is it really worth the $2200.? Not being sarcastic or anything. I have just never used one in my years. Also, how often do you use it? Thanks.
  7. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not bob, but it definately is worth the money. You can pound out edging like there's no tomorrow with the edger. A little fine tuning with a shovel on the tighter curves and that's it. There's no, and I mean NO comparison between hand and machine. Aside from doing an hours worth of hand labor in 5 minutes, you won't be beat to death after doing it either. If you want to do bed mulching and sell the bed edging also, or create beds, buy one. I would suggest renting one and then you'll be hooked.
  9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I will have to check one out. Usually when ever I have to mulch beds we just shape them by hand. I have alot of laborers. maybe I can cut back on some costs though. Thanks for the info Randy Scott.
  10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the input so far, still looking for more. I definately agree that the investment is well worth it. Not only do you save many manhours in labor, I know my employees will welcome the machine. Who really enjoys cutting edges by hand, especially in our rocky, root filled, clay soil. I still haven't heard from too many people who have used the bed shaper. Last year it was priced at around $4000.00. This year it is priced at $2900.00. It is a solid looking piece of equipment. The self propelled feature looks real nice. I am only concerned about the cut though. If you have one, let me hear about it. Thanks.