Bed Trenchers

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by BISHOP, Dec 2, 2001.

1. BISHOP

BISHOP LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

I'VE BEEN THINKING ABOUT PURCHASING A BED EDGER FOR DOING MULCH JOBS, ECT.

ARE THEY REALLY WORTH THE MONEY. IN THE PAST I HAVE USED HAND TOOLS THAT WORK FAIRLY WELL ON EDGING BEDS BUT THE WORK IS HARD ON THE BACK & TIME CONSUMING PICKING UP & HAULING THE DEBRIS.

I DON'T WANT TO SPEND MORE THAN $1500.00 BECAUSE I'LL ONLY USE IT FOR BEDS-

CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY INFO ON A GOOD BRAND THAT ISN'T GOING TO BREAK THE BANK.

BISHOP of CCL :alien:

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Well, I've got one, and it's worth it's weight in gold, but it's a bit more than the $1500 budget you've got.

Soils here are really tough clay with rocks. I have a 'Bed Edger' made by Brown mfg, I believe. 8hp Honda, saves all kinds of hard, hard work, leaves soil beautifully pulverized to refill the trench when installing edging.

But it's $2,200.

Run a search in this forum and you'll get some good threads on this topic.

3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco sells a bed-edger that is fairly reasonably priced. After you have used one for a while, you'll never do a large job by hand again.

4. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

Do you have a Walker?

5. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

hello,

Bed edgers are very, very nice, but sometimes hard to justify the cost for the amount of work done.

My friend has a "Bed Shaper", not sure of the manufacturer, but it is a incredible machine. Has a 14hp kawa, hydraulic drive, and works beutifully. This one doesn't till, but it kind of 'peels' the sod off the ground so you can easily pull it up.

Only problem with the machine is it was close to $3500 brand new.

The thing to do is really figure out how much edging you do and also how much you plan to do. Figure out how many jobs you have done in the past and come up with a estimate of how many hours the machine may have saved you. Also, figure out out much more edging you may have in the future, and see if it makes sense to make an investment like that.

I like the machines, and would think of buying one, but it would be more of a 'toy' than anything else. Personally, I hate edging, and though it may not be a financially sound investment, it would take the grunt work out of some of the jobs.

Luckily, for now, I just borrow the machine from another contractor when I need it. It sure is nice having 'friends' in the business!

steve

6. SCL

SCL LawnSite Senior Member

Bishop,
    You might look at a company called Turfco. They make an edger that works with a reciprocating arm and you can get different attachments. One is an angled sod cutter about 4" wide, makes a nice bed edge. Still gotta pick up the sod/trash. Goes for about $1300 I think. I'll look for a number if anyone's interested and they do have a website.

7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the Brown Mfg. bededger also with the 8 hp Honda motor. It without a doubt is an awesome investment. I charge by the foot when edging and it is dollar for dollar my most profitable work. Some customers know what it takes to hand dig bed edges and when I come through with this machine and make a beautiful and perfect edge they are amazed. It reduces time spent so much it's not even funny. I don't know about the other brands but the Brown machine makes such a fine textured soil when you cut the edge, I just rake it back into the beds and throw the mulch right over it. No hauling dirt or peeled up sod away. There are multiple attachments for it also. I just have the blade that creates the bed edge and I use that for reshaping and cleaning up the edges, I used it for making some small trenches and also for grinding on some small tree stumps. Maybe 3 to 5 inch tree stumps. I am not associated with this company if you think I'm giving a sales pitch, I just think it is a good machine and has been payed for easily in one season. Mine also was $2200. I see other companies digging by hand once in awhile and I just laugh, they don't know what they're missing.

8. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Randy -

I got mine at Reinder's. You too?

Around me, there really aren't too many companies WITHOUT one. The soil here can get so darn hard when it's dry, edging can be a full day job. So, the trucks of competitors large and small drive by with that red 'T' handle sticking out the back.

9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Stonehenge-I bought mine from my dealer in Cedarburg where I have bought all my equipment. He's a good guy, fair on price and great on service, very pleased with that end of this business so far.

10. conepile

conepile LawnSite Member

I've been thinking of renting a bed edger to try it out at home. I have lots of beds to deal with, and I use a shovel-formed "V" between the turf and mulch.

Questions: How much of a mess does the edger make, and where does it go (is the direction of edging such that the debris goes in the bed or the turf)? What do you do with the debris (I'm nottalking sod, but refreshing existing beds)?