Bed trenching

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by PGA, Feb 21, 2006.

1. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of you call it edging. We call it trenching around here. I dont have to much of it to do but I was wondering how you guys charge for it?

By the foot?

I do it with a trench shovel. It doesnt take that long. I was thinking about a dollar a yard for beds that were already cut but just needed to be reshaped due to run off or settling.

2. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

I don't use an exact system for charging by measuring. From previous experience, I am able to get a close idea of how many man hours it will take by looking at the beds. From there, I'll the multiply the hours by my hourly rate.

Don't forget to charge a 'dumping' fee if you are going to be removing the edgings from the property.

3. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Im doing a job tommorow but its only going to take about 20 mins to get them back into shape. I charge 60 and hour for cleanups or other jobs that I do hourly so I guess that would be $20. Thats not bad.
  4. williamslawn

williamslawn LawnSite Member
    from SC

We use a Brown Bed edger (TrenchMaster) we charge $1.00 per foot for small jobs and .50 per foot for big jobs with a $75.00 min.
  5. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

a dollar a foot an up!!
  6. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

I charge 1.25 per ft and any hauling is an extra

7. jhoneycutt

jhoneycutt LawnSite Member

I rent a Bed Edger for $25 It does awsome. and usually get a couple of jobs together and split the rental then by man hrs.
    and it doesn't take long (avg. 1 man hr per yd)