Bed weed control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfmanagementspecialty, Aug 13, 2007.

1. turfmanagementspecialty

turfmanagementspecialty LawnSite Member

Just thinking of adding bed weed control to my program for next year along with a monthly maintenance program (weeding, watering, fertilizing etc.) Wondering what and how people charge for this service. Hourly for the hand weeding, pruning, mulching,etc. Also do you charge per K sq/ ft for pre emergent in the spring in beds? What products are some of you using. Live in WI. Pre-em? Thanks

2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I use Snapshot 2.5TG in the early spring over the whole bed, then depending on the account, 2-4 return visits with glyphosate and Surflan tank mixed and spot treat with a backpack.

3. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Consider mulch , works better than pre-emergents if it's laid thick enough .

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter how much mulch there is...there will stll always be weeds to eradicate.

5. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not saying there would not be any weeds , but it does work better then
    'gents

6. turfmanagementspecialty

turfmanagementspecialty LawnSite Member

How much do you get per thousand sq/ ft to apply pre em and to come back and hit weeds? what about mulching or hand weeding, fertilizing? thanks. what do people use for fert. on Ornamentals?

7. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I use Lesco 13-24-6 for my beds - Nov/Feb. I charge $75/yard for mulch and around here a typical front uses 4 yards - I prefer buying fine shredded hardwood by the yard.

8. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

For fert. I use Arborgreen-deep root fed on trees and shrubs or simply broadcast over flowers and perennials.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree....and too much nut grass coming in with mulch.....we got some bed that we put the yellow pre-m and roundup on in spring and still working I was very satisified.

10. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Mulch can help with weeds. but without pre emergents there is still alot I mean alot of weeding to do. Esecially if its irrigated. Horsetail for example comes with the mulch, turns out to be on of the hardest planting bed weeds to get rid of. we use a combination of both. by using snapshot and post treatments we have seen as much as 75% reduction in weeding. at one acount there is about 1 acre of beds, thats alot of time saved...