Bed Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cmcfalls, Apr 23, 2002.

1. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a weed control granular to put in the flower beds that wont harm the shrubs ??????????

2. Tordonista

Tordonista LawnSite Member

What kind of shrubs?
    Caseron works well with most woody plants.

3. JDavis2

JDavis2 LawnSite Member

Snapshot is the best product out. It contains treflan and Isoxaben (Gallery) In the granular form the treflan is not volatile. It works well with broad leaves. The grass still grows into the bed but the roots never peg the soil so you can usually use a string trimmer to remove the runners from the beds.

4. cmcfalls

cmcfalls LawnSite Member

Shrubs consist of roddys, azaleas, monkey grass, boxwoods, hollys, yews, and various flowers

5. Tordonista

Tordonista LawnSite Member

I hate beds where things are mixed like that.
    Sounds like you can't use any post-emergent herbicide at all, so your only choice is pre-emergents. Gallery, and Barricade for the grasses and annuals.
    Do you have weeds to get out of there now? can you get a cultivator in there, around the desireable plants?
    May be hands and knees with the digger, then the pre emergents.
    We plan our beds with weed control in mind. Where we plant succulents, we plant them really thick. at least it hides some things that way. Mostly we plant things that Caseron won't hurt.

6. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

If you have grasses in the beds you can use Fusilade II and when mixed according to directions you can overspray most ornamentals. Monkey Grass can survive with only a 20% burn. It comes back quick. Fusilade II wont kill the broad leaf plants but it does good on grasses in the beds. There is a huge list of plants that can be oversprayed without harm.:)

7. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

will snapshot work on flowers as well as shrubs? I have many clients ask me about flower bed weed control and have never made it part of my gig but would like to expand.