Bededging anyone??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dig Yard Dirt, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

What kind of bededging do you prefer?

I have a Brown 9hp bededger/trencher that makes an awesome 4' deep sharp trench down and a 6" slant towards the bed. It grinds the dirt into a sandy powder.
    The mower deck can mow over the bed's edge while the mulch or rock lays clean and undisturbed in the bed's new edge.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i have used a bededger brand didnt do a bad job but it wasnt self propelled .
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I have used a Bedscaper....but I didn't like how it left a continuous pile of dirt in the grass along the edge.

4. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

4' deep?? Do you contact the gas end electric company before you use it?
  5. Dig Yard Dirt

The gas and electric are 18-24" deep, but the some phone and cable lines aren't that deep. I have cut a couple of phone lines. If the home owner has underground lines I call a locator to spot the lines for me.

I normally don't edge 4" deep, mainly 3". That thing will wear you out.
  6. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

i was kidding you said 4 feet not 4 inches in your original thread.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you are edging ussing the Brown bed edger, there is really nothing more to say. You are using the finest piece of equipment available to do such a task. Not just because it is a bed edger, but because it is a Brown. There are comparable modela out there, but none that quite match up to the ability of this unit. Do I own one? No. I've used them in the past, as well as a few others, and I know that if in the event I make a purchase, it will be a Brown.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have had a lot of people try to sell me in the past bed edgers, but for right now I will stick with my stick edger and a shovel :)
  9. Dig Yard Dirt

The stick edger is perfect for concrete edges, no doubt, but it doesn't compare to the results from a bededger edge.
  10. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i also have a brown.
    it is great for beds, and trenching. you can even get a stump grinding blade for it.

here we have no ground freeze at all. we use the trencher for our zone lines. at only 2"wide it makes cleanup a snap.