1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bedlines near flowerbeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jasonlandscape, Jul 9, 2008.

1. jasonlandscape

jasonlandscape LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

ok, i have a yard that is reel cut. There is a flower bed with impatiens, they will grow past the bedline when they get big. i like to see the edge so i always trim the flowers back a little so there is about a 4" space between the bedline and flowers.

what do u guys do or think?
  2. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

Trim them back to the ground and let them come back. It may freak your customer out the first time but then when they see them come back and put on a show like they haven't seen in a LONG time, they will love you and you can then maintain them for about a year and then you will need to cut them back again.
  3. Dean of Green

Dean of Green LawnSite Senior Member

I always plant to allow for about the same, 4 inches of mulched space between flowers and grass. I try to encourage customers that do there own planting to do the same. But you know how that goes, lead a horse to water but can't make him drink.
  4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Not a manual reel mower, I hope. If so...wow.
  5. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

noway. i have a mclain for right now. only have two reel accounts. i'm getting a 27" pro true cut with a roller soon.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Don't waste your money on the roller unless the surface is perfectly flat. One of the best things about Tru-Cuts/Mc Clains -vs- Greens mowers is the wheels are very forgiving as opposed to the rollers. Once you get a roller involved it really exaggerates any little hump or bump. I had one for about a week before we pulled it and put the wheels back on.
  7. jasonlandscape

from Georgia

oh yeah. my yards that a reel cut are nicely sanded. and the one that will get i the future will be sanded as well. i thin the roller will make a more even cut. the wheels sink into the sand to much and they mark up the yard.
  8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Imapticents are annuals here.
  9. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I thought that too. The roller flattened out taller grass, especially seed heads so the cut was irregular at best. A groomer on the front would have been a better choice for us.

The roller is only on the front, I don't believe they make a roller drive but I may be mistaken. The majority of the weight is on the back wheels which are much wider than the Mc Clain's. With a roller on the front it is about 30 lbs heavier but I guess the weight is evenly distributed. The Tru-Cut has wider rear wheels and bigger double wheels in the front. I think you will like the Tru-Cut much better than the Mc Clain. Please let me know how it works for you. I have Tru-Cut's, Pro Masters, and Trimmers, 2 of each. I like the the Pro Masters the best but you can't get parts for them any more.