Bee ID.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bare spot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

anybody that knows bees here and can tell me what these are? wasn't sure if they were honey bees, they were not to aggressive, they did get me earlier but only after working under this tree for about ten minutes. heard buzzing around me but didn't think to put it together, there was a bees nest two feet above my head. anyway now that i'm checking the picture i'm not to sure, pic's show a little be more yellow than they looked.

DSC00756-2.jpg

2. bare spot

checking out some images of bees i'm thinking yellow jacket wasp.

3. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Those aren't bees those are yellow jackets.

http://www.thebeehunter.com/types-of-bees.html

You're lucky they didn't light you up.
    I rarely see that type - occasionally in hedges, but mostly I get nailed by the ones that nest in the ground. Got stung on the finger last week. It swelled so bad I could barely hold my trimmer an hour later.

4. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like Paper Wasps to me.

5. bare spot

thanks for the link. was first run in of the yr, but yeah after seeing where the nest was, couple feet above, very lucky. they got in two hits right by my eye and a neck shot, before i high tailed it to safety.

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Yellow Jackets...I wish they would all go to hell! Those and the white faced hornets, evil EVIL little bastids.

7. bare spot

that's what the neighbor said (she happened to walk by right afterwords). she said at one time raised bees but i was like thinking to myself yeah right i know what a wasp looks like and they don't look like that, so maybe she is right.

8. Cody S

Cody S LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I can never tell between Paper Wasps and Yellow Jackets from a distance. I had a paper wasp nest behind a brick wall at an apartment complex I worked at. The Orkin guy said it was Paper Wasps and the nest look just like that. However Yellow Jackets are eerily similar to them. No matter what, they need to die haha

9. bare spot

checking out wasps, didn't think there were so many different types, there is a lot.. but yeah think these guys could be an issue, patio is a few feet away.

10. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty sure these can nest in more than a few types of locations. Seen them like in the pics...as well as w/in retaining walls AND underground. Their stings itch like mad for a few days. LOL Yeah, lil bastiges!!