Bee ID.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bare spot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

That could be a European hornet nest. They are quite docile compared to the bald faced hornet which would tear you up. I would leave it alone. You will have something cool to take apart during the fall.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

If it was yellow jackets you would of got swarmed.

3. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would concur.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, they didn't seem to aggressive at all considering what i was doing. was able go back near them minutes later, one buzz me but was about it. was thinking of asking the neighbor (who told me she raised, west part of state somewhere) for some thoughts, gotta do a place across the street tom, hope i see her. couple yrs back had almost same situation (or thought i was gonna), those did turned out to be honey bees. that time i was pretty sure about it and was gonna make some calls but the homeowner was all over it, she contacted the right people and next day some beekeeper came down and got them.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

There's CLEARLY 2 yellow jackets on the outside of the nest, so the only logical conclusion is yellow jackets.

6. die4irish

die4irish LawnSite Member
    from ohio

they are yellow jackets so consider yourself lucky.

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

8. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Why would yellow jackets be on the outside of a hornet's nest? Yellow jackets make above ground nests also.

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Slumming?:laugh: Yea is does look like a yellow Jacket. I just have never seen a yellow jacket nest hanging from a tree. I have stepped on and ran over many of them over the years

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Most of the time, they are in the ground, in walls, in houses, etc, basically anywhere with in interior type nest.

However, there is another variety of yellow jackets that builds exterior nests also, which for a strange reason I've been noticing a vast increase of.