Bee ID.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bare spot, Jul 8, 2013.

1. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

A simple Google search clears up all of these questions in just a few seconds.

All my life I just called the ones in the ground "ground bees". I didn't really care what they REALLY were, I just knew that when you see them...

RUN AWAY!!!

[​IMG]

2. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

that's great, thanks for good laugh.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

You mean 3..... Upper left.

4. nashlawn01

nashlawn01 LawnSite Senior Member

Those are yellow jackets on the nest but around here yellow jackets are always in the ground. Hornets nest would be my guess. Maybe last year hornets and yellow jackets took over the empty nest. I have seen them do that once
    Before

5. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

i got stung about 4 or 5 times today by a yellow jacket. i feel like i got the crap beat out of me. got stung on the face, then one got in my shirt. lol. just another day in the neighborhood... but yeah, to the OP, looks like yellow jacket to me.. thats what i pulled out of my shirt anyway.

6. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Well, maybe not so clearly 3 visible :laugh::laugh:

7. OakNut

Ack. I wear shorts, so I generally get nailed on the legs. Once ran over a hole and irritated the inhabitants and got nailed five times - three on one leg and two on the other. The initial pain from the stings is no fun, but for me, it causes such soreness in my muscles afterwards that it feels like someone hit me in the leg with a bat. That sore feeling lasts for a good week.

Evil bastages.

8. 9ball1018

9ball1018 LawnSite Member

I hate yellow jackets. Consider yourself lucky for not getting swarmed. I got stung over 70 times one day last year. They start getting really aggressive this time of year.

9. OakNut

Doing any hedge work? You may want to do a little recon by poking, or shaking those suckers to see if anything comes out.
    Better to find them on your terms. ;)

10. bare spot

bare spot LawnSite Bronze Member

been cutting shrubs most of the wk, and after most recent run in with the bees, been on high alert and doing recon as mentioned. 9ball1018, had a couple bad run ins but no where near 70, wow, were u still standing? would think maybe with that many might need some medical help. idk but think something gets injected and that could be a lot of juice. hopefully came out of that attack alright.