Bee season advice:

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, May 23, 2002.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

With bee season ahead I thought that I might open a conversation on the matter. Bees are attracted to scent and fragrance. It is my experience that it would be recommended to only wear unscented deodorant and avoid cologne of any kind. I have not been stung in years. Even frequently have rescued mowers that has been left nestled above an in ground beehive. Hope I have not spoken to soon! Do bees also chase fear? Well just some thoughts, hope they are of help and might even save a life. I am sure that fellow professionals have been lost on this serious matter. Topic to even discuss with the help.

Never been stung since using Right Guard Sport powder dry spray!

2. rodney

rodney LawnSite Member
    from sw,ohio

i have not even seen a bee yet is there a sertain time they come out or what ?
    i have seen wasp and the big bumple bees out for awhile .

3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I swell up pretty good when I get stung... I keep some Benedryl capsules in my truck at all times.

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

thats, CERTAIN, and , BUMBLE. good lord, i should be president

5. SLIMDAWG1

SLIMDAWG1 LawnSite Member

THOSE SONS OF BEES AND BASTARDS.GET STUNG EVERY YEAR AND TIRED OF IT.THEY HATE FOR YOU TO RUMBLE THE GROUND WITH A MOWER.WHEN THEY COME OUT THEY'VE WORKED UP A GOOD MAD.KEEP A HAT ON FOR SWATTING,LIGHT BOOTS,FOR RUNNING,BENADRYL IF YOU'RE ALLERGIC AND A CAN OF SPRAY FOR GET BACK.NEVER BEENABLE TO OUT RUN 'EM THOUGH,BUT I'M GETTIN QUICK.

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ran into yellow jackets twice last year wife got 27 stings i got 12 getting her out of there and a part time helper hit a nest with 36 and left mower that was fun retrieving

7. aakin

aakin LawnSite Member
    from 6

Where do you run ito these bees? They make their hive in the ground? Huh never saw one of those. Usually I see them under gutters or doors etc... Never on the ground.

8. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

ive seen yellow jacks nesting in pampass grass one nest last year was under a tree and one was in a railroad tie most ive seen were underground nests ive seen thousands of bees fly out when disturbed