1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Bee Season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by OnMyOwn, Aug 26, 2005.

1. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Words from the wise, or should I say the stung! Bee season is coming up in the midwest. With all of the apples on the trees / ground, the bees start hanging out more than usual. Remember to wear tight-legged shorts.
  2. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Your right, september here the yellow jackets go into the ground ...hit a nest every year. So far ive been able to outrun every encounter and starting sept 1 ..I wear long pants and sleeve shirts.
  3. lqmustang

lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member

I got nailed on the leg Tuesday this week. Thought maybe I ticked off a nest, but there wasn't another bee around anywhere. The little sh*t just came out of the blue and nailed me. Broke my nice 2 year streak of not getting stung. :angry:
  4. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

In a two week period i got hit 4 seperate times... man i was pissed.since then ive been doing good and being a lot more careful :)
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I was cleaning my eXmark last week and found a huge nest under the control panel. Dam did that give me a scare!!! Knocked it off with a pole! Have not gotten stung this year (knock on wood!). As of mid sept. long pants and long sleeves always!
  6. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

I keep getting stung while I trim. I've probably been stung 10 times this week, I'm under seige by those little buggers. Watch out they hate the sound of trimmers.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Ran over a yellow jacket nest in the ground last week. Stung 4 times, 2 days of pain and 2 more of itching.
  8. MBDiagMan

MBDiagMan LawnSite Senior Member

Adding to that warning. In Texas the Africanized bees are as far North as the Red River. Physically they are the very same as honey bees, but they have an aggressive attitude such that they send the ENTIRE hive of bees after you. They have been known to kill people, and when autopsied, these bees are even found in their victims lungs and stomachs.

If you are in an area far enough South, watch closely.

Have a great day,

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I've only been stung once this year but dodged the bullet about 5 more times. Age and wisdom I guess. I carry cans of Spectracide from Depot. Knocks'em right out of the sky. Instant death. Best $4 you can spend.
  10. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

Found a yellow jackets nest in my lawn the other day, narrow escape on my part. I didnt have any spray so after they mellowed out I stuck a garden hose in the hole and let the water run for 15 minutes. After periodic quick looks, the water never came out of the hole.I wonder where it goes or if there is another exit somewhere in the vacinity? Any input on the underground make up of a jackets nest. thanks