Bee Stings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J. Davis, Aug 6, 2001.

1. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

Mowing a yard this week and went into the edge of the woods to dump the grass clip. bag and was attacked by yellow jackets. During this first trip I dropped the bag and had to return to the same area and was stung again. In all I was stung 14 times. These bees were very aggressive and chased me more than 75 yards to my truck....Has anybody had this problem this summer...(Second trip I sprayed before entering the area and still got stung....:blob2:

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Thankfully No.

However I have been stung to where I had to drop my britches in order to escape those that flew up thar. :angry: These mud-wasps are not friendly buggers are they, and unlike most that lose the stinger these guys have finely sharpened tools and penetrating instruments. :blob2:

Kris

3. J. Davis

J. Davis LawnSite Member

These were in a hole about 6 feet from the path...I've step on nest and hit nest but these had a differet way.....Later I poured gas into the nest....at night. This winter I will dig the nest up for observation and some fun....:angel:

4. Grapevine

Grapevine LawnSite Member

I think I've been stung more this year than any other. 90 % of the time it's when we're pruning and come across a hive that I didn't see. Alot of times when pruning (like privet or boxwood ) the bees are flying all around me but there just the drones and don't have stingers, but once in a while you hit a nest and I run like Hell. I've been stung in the head and twice on the nose, (that hurt like a bastard) Does anyone know what the black and White bees are called, they are very aggressive and hurt like Hell.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i was mowing the other day and my lazers tire hit a bush. well lets say i messed up my striping pattern when i gunned it away from the bush. luckily i wasnt stung, but it seems like a bad year for bees. i had to kill three nests at my house alone this year.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

For some reason wasps hornets bees and such do not sting me.

Monday, I was trimming hedges and severed a wasp nest. Backpedaled away quite quickly but with no arm waving. Grabbed the rake and flicked the hive off to the side so I could finish the job.

Tuesday a similar deal, though I didnt hit the hive it was quite visible. Put the trimmer away, grabbed the mower and started the lawn. After 10 minutes they calmed down so I started trimming again, this time from the other direction so I finished up at the hive. Once again, finished mowing so the buggers would calm down so I could rake with no hassles.

You want to get stung wear bright clothing and wave your arms like a lunatic. Want them to let you be, dress in grays and act like they arent there :alien:

7. wallzwallz

wallzwallz LawnSite Senior Member

i think your referring to the white faced wasp,not sure if that's correct name,but that's what we call them here, was pruning a forsythia bush stuck hedge trimmers right in nest about a 16 inch diameter,entire chest covered with them before i evan saw them,took about 40-50 stings, chest swelled up,turned rock hard thought i was going to die:angry: so now i check them bushes real good before i prune.

Mike Wall

8. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

I got stung a couple of weeks ago and sure enough I had to do the same thing that kris did. I was on a Toro walkbehind and I went back to the truck which was about 70 yards away and they were all in my pants. I haven't dropped my pants that fast in a long time. The guy I was working with just started laughing so hard because I looked so dumb jumping around in the street. The nice thing was that no one besides the guy I was working with saw me. The one on the rear realllllyyyyyy hurt.

9. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

Grapevine, down south we call the black and white bees that nest in the ground - bumblebees. I'd rather be stung by wasps or hornets, than a bumblebee. The last time one got me, I was moving some old junk. Saw the bees and took off running, after a couple 100 yards I turned around to see if any were still chasing me, bam, got me right below the eye. Bumblebees are vicious little rascals and hurt way worse than any other bug I've been stung by. Better luck next time........

10. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

O-u-c-h !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :mad: Brings back some chilling memories of last year while trimming overgrown bushes, and cut right into a bald faced hornets nest. The er at hospital said I was stung about 50-60 times all over my body. AND YES I ALSO CHECK THEM OUT REAL GOOD NOW BEFORE I START TRIMMING.:D