Been a while

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by little green guy, Jan 4, 2007.

1. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys, it's been a long time since i've posted here, see alot of new faces and wow this site has realy taken off.

Anyway i'm looking to replace our current skid steer which is a new holland lx865 and i wanted to see what most of you guys are currently running for hardscaping projects. I'm sure this has been talked about a million times but here it goes anyway...:hammerhead:

2. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you get the debate going real good, then ask what truck to pull it with.
    Im a Bobcat man.:usflag:
    Mike

3. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a Cat 252b. Very versatile, can lift a full skid of block, and super easy to operate.

Chris

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

5. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Cat 232 Love it ! Will get 252 this season.

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

yah i know this is sort of like the Ford, Dodge, GM debate, but i'm just wondering what the most common machine being used for hardscapes is,what size machine is best suited for picking up block, and why those machines are being used. We've been using new holland and as needed rented additional machines of all different brands, so it's not as if i don't know what other machines are out there. I just want to know what the most common machine being used is because whatever that machine may be, if alot of guys are using it, well that says something.

so far CAT is winning

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking at CAT, the 252B is probably the lowest you should go if moving full pallets. We also had a 232 and we could slide them around the site, but as far as lifting off a truck or stacking.....forget it!

Chris

8. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

262 CAT and a 773 bobcat. Guys love the CAT, I can see the bobcat going very soon. :)

9. PSUturf

PSUturf LawnSite Senior Member

We've got a couple of Bobcat T200 that our used mainly for building walls. Don't know if the owners of the company plan to buy any more because of the high maintenance costs associated with the tracks.

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

We have a CAT 246.

We have a Gehl 5635.

Both can lift 3,000# (with counterweights).

Both are about the same horse power.

Want a GOOD skid steer that is WELL engineered, and not loaded up with a bunch of fancy crap that in essense you really don't need??

Then take a GOOD, HARD look at Gehl's 35 series.

Our Gehl is a 1997.

Our Cat is a 2003 (i think).

The Cat is nice. But I will never buy another CAT again.

The visibility with the CAT is pathetic. Gehl has the best operator visibility on the market. This is VERY important for a hardscaper that is doing a patio behind a house on a confined quarter acre lot.

And now, if no one ever ran anything other than ONE brand - then they don't know the difference!

Something else? Cat uses Perkins engines. I havent had any problems with ours....yet. But Perkins has a reputation for problems.

GEHL 35 series? Last I was aware they are still using the German built DUETZE (spelling) engines. Ours has about 2100 hrs and doesnt burn one drop of oil. 2100 HRS!!! Not ONE drop! Most folks trade their skid steers in at this point. heck, ours is just gettin broken in!

Pricing? You will be happy with BobCat. you will be happy with CAT. I can assure you, you'll be happy with Gehl. And Gehl is a few thousand dollars LESS then the aforementioned. No fancy computers (that are subject to malfunction, and costly repairs), just SIMPLE, to the point, old school engineering.

Tracks? It's my opinion that a hardscaper and landscaper DO NOT need a dedicated track machine. Sure you'll be happy. BUT - you're going to spend alotta money which isnt necessary.

A CTL is many thousands of more dollars.

To replace the tracks you're lookin at around 7 grand.

A set of tires on a skid steer will last 3 years and to replace all four you're looking at $1000 - $1200.

ok, so you say "ya but we need traction, we NEED to stay productive"? No problem! So do we! Its wet here in MD in the spring and fall! So, buy a set of steel add on tracks. This way you're not wearing out $7000 tracks on the hot July days when tracks are not necessary. They will do just fine. And you WILL save thousands of dollars over they long run.

The equipment distributing industry has done a great job of convincing contractors that WE NEED A CTL. Just like the cell phone industry has done a great job of convincing people that we need cell phones; that we need phones with video cameras and e-mail messaging! Just like the credic crad industry has convinced americans that we NEED credit cards!

A CTL is great if you do grading and seeding EVERY DAY. Or if you're building pools. Meaning if you're primarily working in SOIL.

But the average residential landscape / hardscape contractor is traversing over asphalt and concrete daily. This is hard on the rubber tracks. AND, you cann not get stuck on asphalt!!! I almost bought a CTL. Had my mind set on it. After careful thought and disection of what it will cost over the years, and careful evaluation of whether or not we REALLY need it, I concluded the CTL isn't a must have for the hardscape industry.

DEMO a Gehl today. Click on the Gehl link below. I assure you, as long as you maintain the machine, you WILL NOT be sorry.

http://www.gehl.com

http://www.outdoorfinishes.com