1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Been in the biz for 5-6 years....

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Snapperman, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Snapperman

Snapperman LawnSite Member

I have been doing this kind of thing for 5-6 years and i am doing pretty good though i have another job as a plumbers assist, well i have got alot of equipment over the years and its still all running because i Maintinence my own equipment. Well im going to list my equipment and you guy can rate it, (keep in mind its not all commercial and its only a small business)

Riding Mowers:
    1962 Snapper comet w/ 30" deck kawasaki 12.5 hp commercial grade engine
    murray w/11hp i/c engine also 30" cut

Walk-behind Mowers:
    Murray 20" w/4hp briggs, multcher/bagger
    Craftsman 22" w/6.25hp briggs self propelled multcher/side discharge (I know sears crapsman)
    Mtd 22" 3.75hp briggs

Weed Eaters
    2 craftsman 17" curved shaft (soon to have stihl trimmers)

MClane 3hp briggs edger

Weedeater/poulan brand hand blower w/vac

Stihl MS 180 C

Because i run a small business i do residental work, so I use my utility vehicle to pull around my equipment

Hedge trimmers:
    Manual trimming shears (soon to have stihl hedge trimmers)

I think thats about all for now unless i missed something
  2. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I don't know why you want us to "rate" your equipment...shouldn't we rate your work? The equipment list resembles common home owner equipment that will get eaten alive in a regular commercial setting! Who cares what I think though? We are have to start somewhere and you should focus on running your business to the best of your ability. Good luck man!
  3. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you serious with that list? or is this a joke? I mean 99% of homeowners have better equipment...
    WeatherMan likes this.
  4. Snapperman

alright then tell me what brands of lawncare equipment homeowners use, then try to put down my equipment :angry:
  5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

He is only 17 so he has to start some where.

Now Snapper you asked us to rate your equipment and maybe cheyman came over a little harsh, but he is correct. The equipment you listed is homeowner or below grade.

You say you have been in the biz for 4 or 5 years Why don't you have commercial equipment. I helped a 16 year old get started last season with an old JD 36" and a echo trimmer and hand held blower.

Now at the end of her season 2 in the biz she has 96 f250 with plow and salt spreader, 16 ft trailer,1 JD z rider, 1 JD 48" walk behind, 1 JD Trim Mower, 2 echo trimmers, 2 Echo Backpack Blowers. She purchased all of this used with my help ( TO make sure she did not get screwed) with the money she had made in the previous seasons.

That little Story is just to show you what you can do if you put your mind to it. :waving:

Best Of luck to ya
  6. Snapperman

Thanks man, I am not a big commercial company so i just use homeowner equipment but your right we all have to start somewere. I will have to post some pics of my lawns and then i will have you guys rate them, and trust me just because its homeowner use, does not neccessarly mean its crap, it might not be as durable but gets the job done :blob3:
  7. Snapperman

Well the reason i have not bought better equipment is because i have droped alot of lawns, some were bad to pay, others would not comply with my suggestions such as gathering up the loose stuff on the lawn that would kill my blades and etc. But i am going to get more lawns, besides i dont do this every day because of my other job. I figure when all of my eqiupment starts going one by one i will replace them one by one with stihl products. In the time all my equipment will be stihl with the exception of the mower which will be either exmark or dixie chopper.
  8. chevyman1

chevyman1 LawnSite Senior Member

sorry bud didn't know you were 17. One thing you need to learn though that will help is you need to spend money to make money. Buying good equipment will make you more efficient and your work will look better. When I was 15 I bought a $450 trimmer, my friends thought I was insane to pay that for a REdMax. I am 27, still have it and it runs awesome, and the first summer I used it, it paid for itself in less than 2 weeks clearing some fields along summer lake camps at $30/hr back then.
  9. Snapperman

Its ok Chevyman1 everyone dumps on the residental lawn care guy thats 17 and uses "homeowner" equipment to gt the job done, no hard feelings man.

But in the future i wil have all commercial equipment, such as Shindowa, Echo, Redmax, and my personal favorite Stihl