1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Been out of the game, price per sq ft?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by qualityscapes, Apr 24, 2007.

1. qualityscapes

qualityscapes LawnSite Member

I have not installed any paver brick in a 4 or so years. I have been asked be to a simple square patio deminsions unknown at this point.

In the past for other places I have worked at, it has always been price of the pavers plus a per square foot price. There will be little cutting as this is a sqaure pation. Basically excavtion of soil, foundation laid, tamped in level, and bricks installed.

In the past it was price for pavers, foundation materail (stonedust), and 6 per ft for labor. Is this still a realistic price?

I know I'm going to get "it all depends on your overhead, and pricing per area" but there must be some industry standard. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.
  2. qualityscapes

So I have done the famous search and it has occured to me, my pricing is way off. Must have been some time ago. I noticed some pricing per sqft is around 15-20 dollars. Am I to assume that's including the price of pavers?

Im guessing at the rate it is a complete package including all work required.
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

first off stonedust is absolutely the worst base you can use...
    next thing is that you should NEVER rely on sqft pricing.....

figure your materials and then add your labor costs plus your overhead... that's YOUR cost for doing the work... then add profit margin....that's the price
  4. qualityscapes

Really? All the LCO's around here use stonedust....

I have always been under the impression that excavation should be at 7-9 inches. With a 6 in base, then 2-3" for the brick itself.

What is suggessted. I read something about 5" of #4 stone then 1" of sand (but what type)?

Back to estimating since it has been so long that I have been out of the game calcuatling my labor would put me way over everyone else. I'm doing this to ease my way back into the game. I'm thinking this patio will be 20ft x 20ft tops.

That's why I was going with the square ft approach.

Thanks for the help....
  5. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

Belgard has a good installation manual and I am sure the other manufacturers do also. They specify the exact base material. Sometimes if varies depending on the types of soil in your area and the availability of material. Here in Oklahoma we are stuck with 3/8 course limestone screenings or else have to jump up to 1 1/2 which is a pain. Our paver reps here hold training too and tell us how to price and exact meathod of install.

I would however like to know a good square foot price also. Pricing by the foot is a good guideline to basically figure out what the market is in your area. For example if you can get by with $28 per foot in a great market, it would be stupid to charge less just because your costs are less.

Anyone else have a ballpark install price?
  6. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

what good is square foot pricing if you don't know what you get for the square foot.

figure your hours and materials and that should be your price not some abitrary number that has no base in facts.
  7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

In Boise we charge between 20-25 per ft. Plus an hourly rate for the estimated cutting. We always do very well with this formula.
  8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

OMG...all your prices are way off the scale. Those are prices for a Granite counter top. Pavingstones here in NJ and probably the tri-state area (NY, NJ, PA) are in the range of $9-$12 per square foot. Anything higher than $12, and there are plenty of contractors that will outbid you.

Part of the reason for the prices being this low are several producers within our area. I can get pavingstones at $2.07 psf., and using recycled concrete blend for a base is available in many locations - $6.00 per ton! We still net around $35 per man hour, and you've seen the results of the photos.
  9. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Champion what kind of pavers are you buying for 2.07 Psf? Do you normally use RCA as your base? I see how cheap it is, but does it last, we normally use QP(locally referred to as 5A). We did one job with RCA last season only because the customer had a large pile left over from a previous project, It looks fine a year later just curious about what it'll look like in 5 years. As to the pavers if you are buying Grinnell, I have a source where you can get the about 20 cents PSF cheaper. Let me know, if they aren't grinnell then please share what brand they are as that price is pretty low for any other brand that I am aware of. Post here or PM either way is fine with me. One last thing, we are running more like 13-17 dollars PSF, however we generally don't use material at your prices, we try to push techo and cst, average materials costing about 3.75-4.25 PSF.
  10. dirty bob

dirty bob LawnSite Member

Around here most use certified road base.
    The amount of base depends on soil conditions and load. A patio 4" base, 1" sharp sand, 2 3/8" pavers.
    Pack the base good. Use 1" pipe for the sand depth.
    When the pavers are set on the sand they should be 1/4" above final height.
    Price per job not per foot. The guy with an experienced crew who does pavers everyday will always out do you. Think about sub contract. I bring in subcontractors all the time, not because I can't do the work, but because they can do it faster than my guys.