Beer on the job?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhicks, Jun 14, 2001.

Do you, on occasion, drink a beer on the job?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
  2. No

127 vote(s)
  3. Sometimes

7 vote(s)
  1. dhicks

dhicks Member

I know that I asked this question last year but I wanted to see if LCO are becoming more relaxed when it comes to drinking a beer, not getting drunk, but simply drinking a beer on the job.
  2. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

I do enjoy a cold Bud. after a long day in the sun but there is no way I would even have a sip during work hours. Just think about all that money for insurance and what would happen if you were involved in any sort of accident and alcohol was on your breath. Now my own lawn is a different story. LOL

AVRECON LawnSite Senior Member

I don't want any when I'm working. Cause once I've had one I ain't worth a damn after that!
  4. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

No way- hear are my reasons: most of my competitors don't; I work around sharp blades; the weather is finicky in Tallahassee (flash floods, lightning)most of my helpers are not mental giants- beer and intellectual challenges don't mix!
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Why would I? Why would anyone for that matter? We're at work. I've never really thought of beer as "refreshing" anyway. When I'm really hot and thirsty beer is definately not my first pick.
    On the weekend? Sure! I don't work weekends. :)
  6. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Use to bring beer to the crews on friday afternoons. No more! Not since reading about contractor being held liable for one of his employees hitting someone on the way home from work.
  7. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

You're kidding right? I would hope no professional contractors would consider doing this. What would you say to a contractor who showed up to your place smelling like booze? Think of your competition, do they do this? What about your reputation? Way too much to risk just to have a couple on the job. What's wrong with water? Oh wait, my mower's operating manual DID say operate while consuming alcoholic beverages, I'm sorry.
  8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

We have a owner who boozes it up all day(so I have been told by a few customers) He has a fairly large operation and has been in the biz for over 10 years. Dont know if he still does it or how long he has done it. Just that word got around pretty fast. But he still maintain alot of customers. I have never drink beer or liquor on the job. Man that would be draining. Ice cold water hits the spot just fine.
  9. Alan

Alan Member

I have, but it has always been an end of the job situation, sitting around with the customer at the end of the day (keep in mind I'm a lone ranger) and they have offered. Doesn't happen very often, and that's the only situation where I would do it.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Beer on the job? Certainly! What's wrong with that?! Take a good 12 oz., mix 1 tblsp. of dish detergent, and 2 tspns. of tobacco, (chewing tobacco preferably, even though I don't chew,) and mix with 1 qt. water, and put in sprayer. Perfect for mites and all kinds of other foliage damaging insects.