1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

bees ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scagboy227, Aug 4, 2005.

1. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

i hate em
    i got stung 6 times in the last week grrrrrr
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have heard that Yellow Jackets (which are wasps and not bees) are out already. It's been dry here a few times this year and I'm waiting on them.
  3. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

Get some wasp spray and carry it along. :)

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Tis' the season. They say it helps with arthritis.
  5. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

true, it helps MS too.
  6. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

Never had a problem with em.
  7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

saw/found two new nests today, that makes six so far in the last two weeks, stung twice so far.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes watch out for Yellow Jackets, they are HIGHLY aggressive and nest in the ground - Ride over them with the mower one time and the entire nest comes after you like in the cartoons, I got stung 4 times in quick succession a few weeks back and that scared me a bit but I was ok. A friend of mine got stung about a dozen times 4-6 months ago and he ended up in the ER.

A bee sting contains poison and one bee usually won't do it, but get stung 10 or 20 times by an angry swarm and you could have a SERIOUS problem!! The sum of the poisonous content of numerous stings can kill you unless emergency treatment is administered, in most cases, within 30-45 minutes of being stung, the poison can paralize the heart and the brain, not to mention breathing.

Now... Hospitals and ER's use Epinephrine to restore breathing and I'm not sure what other treatment they administer, but do be prepared to rush to the hospital in case of numerous, consecutive stings and it is also possible to obtain (or build) a first-aid kit for this type of emergency thou the steps involved elude me at this time, perhaps someone else knows more.
  9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I usually have a policy that I won't work around a nest until its removed, but just this last week I found myself up on a ladder installing drip irrigation into hanging baskets directly under a mud wasp nest.

I didn't bother them, and they didn't bother me, but it made me nervious.
  10. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I got stung so many times last year that i am now allergic to them. This is because, unlike other things, the more you get stung, the worse the reactions get. It really sucks, no stings this year so far though!