bees in bushes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Apr 25, 2001.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

i'm gettin ready to go trim bushes and yesterday i had a problem w/ bees in them, what do i do?

2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Take some bee killer with you. Or you can spray the bush with a hose and chase those little stingers away.... Whatever you do don't pee in the bush :) That was for the old timers here!!!!!!!

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

take a bottle of clorox and apply right after sting.
    be sure and get the stinger out. i better shut up or you might change yourmind an stay home.:)

4. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

I had a problem shrub last year. Emptied two cans of bee killer into it & still didn't kill the bees. They were nested too far back in the shrub to get a good shot at them. I waited till night and placed a can of "indoor fogger" under the bush. Came back the next day and all the bees were . Don't forget, before trimming any shrub, shake shrub real hard with a rake or pole to find out if bees are nesting there.(be ready to run). This will also work if bees are nesting in siding watch where they are going in and wait till night & prop end of nozzle into hole & sqeeze the trigger.Same thing holds true if they are in the soffit or behind facia. Just tape can to long pole and stick the nozzle in the hole. Hope this helps.

5. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

also if you are in a pinch and have some carb cleaner, that works really good. just don't smoke around it! i have also used roach and ant killer to kill wasps.

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a fellow helping me out at a property last summer and we found some yellowjackets in a couple of azaleas with a blower. He got stung and I had to go in and rescue the blower (one of the big, industrial ones). It was in a place that we could leave so I left it until winter and went in to demolish the nest. I'll find out later if that did the trick or not ...

7. the guy who i used to work for, if we found bees in the lawn which happened at least 2 times a month i would say we would drop a bit of gasoline into the hole that they were hiding in and then drop a match into the hole, setting them on fire.

8. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

9. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Those chemicals do not hurt the bush? I spray all of my bushes with malathion mixed with water. Malathion is an insect killer and made for use on lawns, flowers, and shrubs so it will not harm them. But before you trim it has to dry.

10. Try Just Plain Soap Water. Use A Liquid Dish Detergent
    Mix It Real Soapy .Its Safe For You,Bushes & Any Plants Around It But Will Kill Wasp & Bees No Problem.
    This Is What We Use In The Fire Dept. On Bee Calls