Bees in the ground

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Keegan, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I ran over a bees nest in a customers lawn and I got stung. I left a note for the homeowner telling him there is a nest in the ground and that is why I did finish cutting there. Well, the nest is still there a week later. Should I just take care of this myself because I do want to swell up again?

2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I tell the customer and usually they don't heed the warning. So I just cut around the nest until the grass gets knee deep and they get the message:)

3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

We carry a couple of cans of wasp killer in the truck, always have. Take care of it yourself, it protects you and is just good customer relations.

4. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

I stepped on a nest of Yellow Jackets last year, result: one trip to the emergency room, and three days missed labor. Have the customer take care of it, we have killed nests ourselves but to me it is not worth the risk to myself or my employees.

5. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

and when you take care of it yourself, and the grass around the hole dies, is the customer going to request you take care of the dead grass by replanting? are they going to complain? Don't laugh, Ive SEEN it.

6. tcls83

tcls83 LawnSite Member

Avoid the area until they ask you why even if you have told them about it in the past (a lot of customers are dumb in this way). Leave it up to them to eliminate the nest. If they dump you, they dump you. Saves you from a potential hospital visit.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

agreed, if its that bad, theyll get the hint, they can call someone else in to do it if they choose not to. I know lawns that have bad spots, i run them over fast and duck n floor it, im careful but if its THAT bad i wont bother with it.
    I noticed this year TONS of huge HORNETS though! huge suckers, they move fast, dont piss them off.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I always cut around the places, IF I find them before they find me. No, I never take steps to eradicate the nest. I don't want the responsibility. Beside, "home remedies" usually don't work, unless drastic (burning the nest out). But, I do leave a note, or somehow make the customer aware of the nest. Sometimes, they take steps to get rid of it, but in most cases they do not do anything. I just keep cutting around the nest. They figure if it isn't bothering them, why should they care.

9. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

cut around let customers deal with it, it's not worth dealing with bees. if you must, go out just before dark and pour granular boraic acid into holes the bees will leave the area