BEES!!!!!Please Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CrystalCreek, Jul 22, 2008.

1. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

Today I came across a creature that must be a descendant form the Devil himself. They came out of these 3 inch high sand mounds on the turf. The creatures were about an inch LONG!!!! I can deal with snakes, spiders, gun shot wounds, just about anything. But I hate ALL BEES!!!! I can't finish the lawn. I told the customer and she herself freaked out and ran from these things. She said not to worry about the lawn. These insects are black and yellow. They dig in the soil and are HUGE! Can they be killed? Are they aggressive? What do you call them? I hope that someone can help me out. My other option was incinerating the planet. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
  2. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

at night, get some gasoline and put it on the piles and light them on fire, it always works.

They may be yellow jackets if they are smaller but if they are an inch, i don't know.
  3. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they cicadas? This is the year for them in 13 states, including New Jersey. If so, just endure them for the summer and they won't be back for another 17 years.
  4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

dont hornets some times build in the ground.
  5. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

is this what you saw?

I have another bug for you to look at. I was at work the other day and I saw this really big wasp digging holes in the walking path. He is about 1 inch long and extremely fast. I hope you like the pics.
    Ed Cogan

Hi Ed,
    Looks like you killed a Great Golden Digger Wasp, Sphex ichnumoneus. They hunt katydids and nest in burrows

Attached Files:

6. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

What you might have seen is a cicada-killer they are huge and look awfully mean but do not attack humans.
  7. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I need to kill one of these monster bee's at a friend's house. I'm not sure what they are but they resemble a normal honey bee but about 5 times the size! I'll try to get a pic of one.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

after some searching I found that the ones I mentioned are in fact cicada killers.
  9. CrystalCreek

AHHHHH!!!! THAT"S IT!!!! KILL IT!! I am going to have nightmares tonight. How do I get rid of them. Will the gasoline and fire thing work? I was thinking of flooding the holes with water? May drive them away? I know if my home flooded alot I would start looking for a new house FAR FAR away. Thanks for all the help and keep the ideas coming. Can these things Sting?
  10. CrystalCreek

Hornets do build in old tree stumps but they are very little in size compared to these prehistoric creatures I say today. Hornets are easy to kill. A little gas and a match and good by nest. BEE:laugh:careful thou, I did this at my brothers house and the old stump caught on fire, took about three hours to extinguish. Bees were dead. I say do what you have to too get rid of these beasts.