#$#@ Bees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jt5019, Jul 27, 2005.

1. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Anyone notice (especially Connecticut area) a lot more bees nests this year? I've been stung on three different occasions in the past two weeks two from nests buried under mulch and one i didn't see it behind the Lady's shutters.

Seems like they are all over this year i can usually go all summer without getting stung :angry:
  2. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

Three nests found this week. Found two of them the hard way. Only seen one ground nest so far though. Last year it was 10+ but I guess its early yet.
  3. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We're in a different area then you guys, but...

Today when i was driving to a job site i felt something land on me but didnt think anything of it, I just figured it was a fly....it was a huge bumble-bee, scared the living ____ out of me! ;) Haha, just thought I'd share
  4. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

I think we are up to around 5 nests around my works shop so far this season. Fortunatly no one got stung by any of them. 3 of them were about the size of a grapefruit.
  5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Ground bees have been really awful these last few weeks. One day, Matt got stung over 15 times, I was very worried.
    I've been lucky this year, haven't gotten stung yet...
  6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Jt5019-I'm not that far from you and yes, I have noticed a lot more bees this year. We had a pretty bad run last summer, but it seems like we are coming across a nest on almost every pruning job we are doing. Not as many stings this year, I think my guys are learning to look for nests before they start. Be careful out there.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Lack of rain and high heat will make the yellow jackets nest in the ground more than above where you can see them.
  8. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Doing a mulch job and my son got stung twice. However, these were not yellow jackets. I have come across these critters once before but do not know their name. There are extremely aggressive. They have a white band going around their tail area and the rest of their color is brown/black. They form paper nests. Anybody know what they are or can point to a web site? Other than that the usual number of nests.
  9. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I hate those^%$#^#$ little%^&*%^&* They are extremely agressive they have 2-3 lookouts at the bottom of the nest and if you even get close to them your done for.I believe they are bald-faced hornets
  10. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Oh yeah those suckers hurt too :mad: