1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Brendan Smith, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i was string trimming the other evening and was swarmed by what appeared to be bumble bees, or possibly carpenter bees when i ran over their hole with the trimmer. i know gas will get rid of them, but the problem is that the hole is directly below a huge propane tank. my logical side says i could light it and probably be ok, but i REALLY don't want to blow her house down, not to mention myself. i thought about spraying brake cleaner down the hole because i've knocked wasps out of the air with it before, but never tried it on these guys. any ideas?

i really want revenge after getting stung on the foot, leg, butt, back, neck, and head.

also, the homeowner is allergic and wants them gone too.
  2. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Bee and was killer! Or have the client call an exterminator.
  3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

You dont have to light the gas for the bees to die. Just drown them out.
  4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't believe anybody would consider doing that.

Use bee and wasp killer. I've also used bleach. These are both safer for the health of the soil.
  5. hmartin

hmartin LawnSite Senior Member

If you got stung, you have the right to use gas IMO.:)
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Never light it, not even if it's way out in the open, it could explode in your face.
    Just straight fuel is good, not a lot, 4 ounces or so is good, mix fuel works and starter fluid works as well but it evaporates too fast.

You bet your foot I use gas when I get stung, but just so you know, that which nests in the ground is usually yellow jackets. They're black with yellow stripes and not very big but the pain from the sting is out of this world.
  7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

when u said gas it reminded me about a american chopper episode when the bees were near there garage. paul sr. got a 5 gall gas tank and pured like a gallon and threw a match and boom man was that funny.

well i would call a exterminater to ask him what he would use.
  8. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

lmao thats exactly what came to my mind.

Bee and wasp killer will do. The only thing to do with fire in this would be putting a smoke bomb down the hole to quiet the wasps before spraying them IMO

Why would you use gas? thats real professional blowing up gas tanks...
  9. The Kiwi Lawn Ranger

The Kiwi Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

Use powdered borax just pour it down the hole till no more will fit and put a brick or paver over it.
    Works a treat on the angry angry german wasps here. Nests the size of a telephone booth.

The Lawn Ranger
    Taupo New Zealand
  10. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Are we talking about bee's? Quit swatting at them and they will not bother you! If it's a hole in the ground hive, then pour a bit of bleach or gas into it! For your own sake DO NOT IGNITE! Good Luck!